1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Bochy, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tarheel316, Oct 29, 2012.

1. printit

printit Member

If this was in response to my post, I agree. I never said baseball was struggling, just that interest in the World Series is down.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If the nats win next year, Johnson has as good a case. Baltimore and Showalter might also be true.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Everybody's in a rush to induct everyone, but there have been six contemporary managers voted in over the last 35 years: Herzog (2010), Dick Williams (2008), Sparky (2000), Lasorda (1997), Earl Weaver (1996) and Walter Alston (1983).

It's probably no coincidence that four of them were also personalities of some note.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That's true, but it's not like they have left anyone out in that period where you wonder why they aren't in.

And compare the induction year to when they retired:

Herzog (2010), 1990
    Dick Williams (2008), 1988
    Sparky (2000), 1995
    Lasorda (1997), 1996
    Earl Weaver (1996) 1986
    Walter Alston (1983). 1976

There is no rhyme or reason to when recent managers get picked, regardless of success. There are people who don't believe that when LaRussa, Torre and Cox all are eligible the same year they won't all get elected together. So a guy like Bochy, if he doesn't win another title, is like 35 years from getting in.

Draft saved Draft deleted