1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Bochy, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tarheel316, Oct 29, 2012.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Honestly? Their teams probably would have played in a lot fewer World Series under the current format.

It's harder, not easier, to win a pennant and a World Series today. The playoff system makes it much more of a crapshoot to win it all.

That said, while Bochy and the Giants are deserving winners of the tournament, clearly the "best" teams in baseball aren't winning the World Series as often because the format has changed. And maybe it's my Braves fanboi bias showing, but I do think regular-season success should count more when evaluating managers' career resumes.

I agree with LTL that Bochy has played a larger role in the Giants' postseason success than other managers, but it really is a crapshoot when you get to this time of year. The Tigers' sudden reversal from ALCS sweepers to World Series sweepees is a prime example.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot Cox. I mean, if nothing else, the career record for getting thrown out of games has to be an automatic ticket to the Hall.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The new Veterans Committee rules rotate three eras to vote on. Pre-Integration (1871–1946), Golden (1947–1972) and Expansion (1973 and later).

The expansion era was part of the 2011 ballot, Pre-inregration will be on this year's ballot and the Golden Era is next year and back to the expansion era.

Managers are supposed to be under the same rules as players -- five years after retirement. However, candidates 65 or older are eligible six months after retirement. So Cox, LaRussa and Torre can will all be on the 2014 ballot to be inducted in the summer of 2015l

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

All three should make it pretty quickly, no?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think the Giants' success is a product of an organization finally getting things right with drafting and signing players. I don't have any problem with Bochy, but their investment in talent has given the team the ability to be successful. It would take a Bobby Valentine to screw it up.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No kidding. He can't help himself.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Or a Bobby Cox? The Braves have gotten things right for 20 years now, and they still don't have a lot to show for it.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is ridiculous.

9. Riptide

Only as ridiculous as implying that Bochy wasn't much of a factor.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can't stand the mentality that somehow only championships matter, that division titles and NL pennants are meaningless. It makes no sense. There's a visceral joy to be derived by fans from any win. The season ending on a loss doesn't wipe all that away.

11. Riptide

My point was to salute Bochy, not demean Cox.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, buckweaver and I both read it the other way. Managers largely are irrelevant, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted