1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Bochy, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tarheel316, Oct 29, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I don't recall giving you permission to post.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If 2000 wins gets you in, Leyland might want to stick around for 3-4 more years.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Huh?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is very tiresome, even as a joke. And, well, I don't need your permission! Neither does he.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was searching for something about WS managers and came up on one of those infernal Bleacher Report slideshows -- last year they ranked Bochy as the third-worst manager to win a championship. I guess he is elevated to the first-worst manager to win two championships!

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh.

Not sure why the 1969-93 postseason format has anything to do with this discussion, but OK.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When comparing playoff accomplishments I think the playoff formats should be taken into consideration. Just wondering what some mangers of the past world series counts might be if they had made the playoffs more.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You could also argue that it was easier to be in the World Series when there were fewer teams.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Sorry, the names are switched for the stats.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's a pretty significant boo-boo. ::)

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So Torre and LaRussa aren't in the Hall of Fame? Why not? Do they have to be out a certain amount of time? I have to think both are locks, right?

Note: I'm not a baseball guy, so forgive me if I don't know the rules for managers.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think that's built into the system because of when they're considered -- seems like there isn't much of an era crossover maybe -- you get an up-or-down vote for the '60s guys against each other, then the '70s guys and so on. If/when Bochy is considered, it's likely to be against guys like Francona, Cox, Leyland etc. and by people who witnessed that but not the earlier candidates.

Draft saved Draft deleted