1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Bochy, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tarheel316, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think it's a interesting discussion, but it has to be pointed out that managers don't go in the same way as players.

The veterans committee votes on them. It's a small group (maybe 12 or 16 people) and they get in a room and argue about it. And you're only up once every three years, I think. They divide it into eras, so one year they'll only be looking at pre-WWII, etc.

Bottom line is it's really hard to predict the whim of such a small group of people deliberating less frequently. Not like with the players election, which is 500-plus people voting independently every year.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking then, Bobcat, would three championships be a magic number?

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Three is a magic number based on history. Only nine managers have done it. You win three as a manager and you are in.

Bochy is a good comparison to Herzog, who just went in but had to wait 20 years after his retirement. They both managed 18 years as of right now:

Herzog — 1,454-1444 . 502, three pennants, 2 titles, three other first-place division finishes; nine losing seasons in 18 years
    Bochy — 1,281-1,125, .532, three pennants, 1 title, three other first-place division finishes; four and a half losing seasons in 18 years

Is the extra championship worth X-amount more in terms of the winning percentage?

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

In terms of Francona, I think the Hall of Fame talk isn't lavish with him is that he just went over 1,000 wins in his career and his four-year stint in Philly didn't have a winning season and averaged 93 losses. His eight-year stint in Boston is very impressive I don't think a manager can get by on less than a decade to be a hall of famer, especially when the electorate has put in managers with at least 17 years of experience, not counting a guy who had to wait over 100 years to get in.

If Francona turns around the Indians, I think he will easily get in.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think we also need to remember that with the expanded playoff format that Bochy doesn't make the playoffs under the old way in 2010. It is a hell of a lot easier now to make the playoffs and give yourself a chance than it ever has been.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Huh? Giants won their division in both 2010 and 2012.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would they have won it if it was only 2 divisions not 3? I could be wrong but I didn't think they would have.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe he means the 1969 expansion?

And yes, they would have made it and faced the Phillies in the two-division format in 2010. It would have been Nationals-Reds in that format this year.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Right, I had thought the Braves finished with the better record but they were one behind.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Bochy now has two titles, too.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bochy and Francona have the WS wins, which is probably the hardest the part of the resume to get, so they will eventually be in the HOF. Bochy will probably have 2,000 wins in about 5-6 more years. If Francona spends 10 years with the Indians, he will be in as well without any discussion when he hits 1,800- 2,000 wins.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What impresses me most about Bochy is that he turned two long-time struggling teams -- the Padres and then the Giants -- into World Series teams. Francona had more to work with in Philly and Boston, so Bochy has impressed me more. Francona gets major points for busting the Red Sox curse, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted