1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Browser preferences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 23, 2016.

1. I have the Windows 10.
    I'm not a huge fan, it's hard to find things....
    Anyway, I have it ... I am having a TON of issues with my Internet browser. I had been using Chrome.
    I'm trying Explorer with Windows 10, but I don't like it. Thinking of going with Mozilla's Firefox.

Thoughts, suggestions, Bunny with a pancake on its head?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was longtime Firefox user but transitioned to Chrome about two years ago at a previous job.
    I like it.
    Current job uses Chrome as default browser.

I have a Mac at home and use Safari.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I love Chrome, but avoid it at work because it is linked to my Google account.

I use Firefox at work (Windows 8.1) and have trouble with some sites. I keep getting a warning about scripts not responding. The sites tend to be news sites with a ton of ads, links, and video.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I used to use Firefox when on a PC. No popups, no spam, no phishing. Now I use Macs at both work and home, so I use Safari.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Chrome is good on the Mac. I prefer it to Safari mostly because of familiarity and I hate the look of it.

6. I have PCs ... And I get the same scripts issues. Particularly with this site on my work computer.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Another vote for Chrome. Used to be a dedicated Firefox user, but made the switch because it has its own built-in Flash player. Got really old having to update Flash every month or so for Firefox.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Chrome. We had a CRM built for the Foundation I work for .... it's a Microsoft product and it works better in Chrome. Go figure.

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I use them all for various purposes. Firefox is my favorite for its combination speed, availability of settings and privacy protection. I use Chrome and like it well enough, but it's bad on Privacy on it has been bogged down over the years as Google has added to it. In my use it's no longer faster than any other browser. (Check out the Privacy section on this article to see how Chrome compares on privacy.)

A couple of database sites I infrequently use still only run (well) with Internet Explorer. I have used Edge a little on Windows 10 but not much, partly because I have not yet switched my main PC from 8 to 10 yet. Also Evil, I suspect you're using Microsoft Edge on W10 and not Internet Explorer. IE is buried in the menus on W10.

That said, I love Windows 10. I can find things faster by simply searching in Cortana as opposed to looking through menus.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I've run into this same thing on my work computer, a 5-year old Windows 7 model. Particularly on sites that had video ads that automatically played. I finally relented and downloaded Adblocker Plus, an extension that does as it's name suggests. It has solved all those problems.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I use Chrome on desktop, laptop and phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted