1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Browns CB Baxter tears patellar tendons in both knees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Oct 23, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I guess the team did win a Super Bowl title -- just in Baltimore as the Ravens.

Tough break for Cleveland.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's the first thing I thought of. God, it looked like somebody shot him the way he just dropped.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Bad math. But then again, maybe you're thinking the 1996, 1997 and 1998 Browns were playoff contenders. I guess by that logic, the NFL's team in LA has a shot this season.

Looks to me like beginning in 1994 the Browns have had two playoff teams in 10 years. Grant it, that is horrid, but you have to consider the circumstances in 1995 and what the NFL did to the Browns when they granted them a new franchise.
    (See: "False Start" by Terry Pluto.)

Anyway, that's a pissing contest.

I can't help it but I do think there are pieces currently in place to help this team succeed in the near future. On defense, corner back Leigh Bodden, safeties Sean Jones and Brodney Pool, linebackers Kamerion Wimbley, Andra Davis and D'Qwell Jackson and defensive linemen like Simon Fraser are all developing young players with talent.

Youth resigns on offense as well, but they've proven in the past they have playmaker potential — Winslow, Edwards and Frye. Offensive line is serviceable (needs to be addressed in draft and get healthy... hello injured all-pro center) and Ruben Droughns had an 1,000 yard season last season thanks to fullback Terrell Smith. There is a problem on offense and by firing Maurice Carthon (or forcing him to resign) it is being addressed.

Look, 1-5 is bad, I'm tired of the losing, I'm tired of how the offense has performed and I'm tired of all the injuries but Christ All Mighty this attitude of woah is the Browns is getting old. Woah is a lot of teams in the NFL, but this is only the second season of the Crennel-Savage era. I believe in these two, their football knowledge and their commitment to returning the Browns to the elite of the NFL.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thank you, Phil Savage. But when you add the Browns ineptness to everything else that goes on in this town, there's every reason for the woe-is-me attitude to hang here like a storm cloud.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Mo Carthon's firing will have little if any impact on the tailspin.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

See, I knew we'd agree on something! :)

7. Like someone else said earlier, the countless draft errors made by Butch Davis will have ill effects for years to come.

Part of the problem on offense, too, is that Reuben Droughns doesn't scare anybody. He's a bruiser who will pick up a few yards after contact, but he's not going to outrun anyone.

Of course, it would help if they had a semblance of an o-line. Shaffer is a bust.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Whoever looked at footage of William Green, reviewed his history and said, "That's someone we should draft in the first round," should be enshrined in the Hall of Idiocy.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The playcalling couldn't have been any worse than it was with Carthon. That has to lead to some improvement. They have some playmakers on the field and need to take advantage of them better.

How Butch David could take William Green over Clinton Portis I'll never know. Green was a total bust and a half and even Carthon had the balls to tell him to his face. That said, Phil Savage has made progress. They're young and improving, especially on the defensive front 7 and the offensive skill positions. The draft and free agency has got to focus on the o-line and defensive secondary. The top two picks have got to be on a corner and a run-blocking guard with the way things are right now.

They're a bad, bad team right now. But I really don't think they're too far away from being a good team. I'm willing to give Romeo another year because he's had little to work with. But they play hard, and Savage is finding talent.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

With a 9-7 record, and they pulled a game out of their ass to get in. They had no business being there.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That was the main photo on the best story Peter King's ever written for SI. An indictment of astroturf, it appeared in the issue with Joe carter on the cover celebrating his world series-winning homer.

12. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

It's the NFL. Lots of teams pull games out of their asses. Sometimes, you're as close to 11-5 as you are to 5-11. Rememeber week one that year? Dwayne Rudd chucking his helmet after he thought he sacked Trent Green? Yeah, that one went the other way. Damn, at least that team was exiciting to watch. This is slowly eating away at my soul.

Draft saved Draft deleted