1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Browns beat writer booted over tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

So journalists should mislead readers by hiding their true feelings--which may, in fact, make them biased--to avoid the perception of bias? Definitely a good way to build up credibility with readers.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Didn't Darth Vader tell Luke to embrace his feelings? How much do you make by blogging the truth, alphabet? I assume the whole spill-your-guts style approach to blogging doesn't pay well.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe that's why he isn't working at the Plain Dealer.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So you're better off with no access? You can always say whatever you want -- never-show-up radio talk show hosts have been doing it for decades -- but you hardly ever know what's really going on.

If I had a dime for every completely incorrect assumption I've seen in a basement blog, I'd be neck-deep in dimes.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious. Is there a website dedicated to "When tweets go bad." As much as everyone says how great it is, it doesn't seem like a week goes by that a tweet doesn't get someone in serious trouble.

6. lcjjdnh

As I said above, a journalist may decide he--and readers, because they get more, but not necessarily better, information--is better off making the tradeoff to preserve some access. But the existence of the tradeoff confirms that access limits coverage. This opens up a space for more critical (and, in many cases, correct) voices.

7. lcjjdnh

Not a blogger. Nor do I want to be a journalist. Just an interested reader that wants increase the quality of journalism he reads.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

But if someone's "true feeling" is that a person he or she covers is "pathetic," then, in my book, professionalism has been replaced by a lesser, more juvenlie brand of information distribution.

9. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

So, the moment Grossi thought Lerner was "pathetic," he should've resigned from the beat?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much are you willing to pay for this type of journalism?

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I believe Tony is a great guy and a virtual encyclopedia when it comes to the Cleveland Browns, but I also believe he was on the beat waaaay too long. It was time for a change, but the way the PD has gone about it just doesn't sit right. We should all be very concerned when an innocent mistake like this causes someone to lose his beat. Papers want us to blog, Tweet, Youtube and anything else that will promote them. Tony would have had nothing to gain by intentionally sending that Tweet out to the public so obviously it was a private message. Chances are he didn't say anything about Lerner that Lerner didn't already know or that the people who following the Browns don't already know. Honestly, Tony was too kind. But we should all be careful and make certain we keep our personal social media sites separate from the ones we are forced to set up for the company. This is such BS!

12. lcjjdnh

Plenty. I pay for subscriptions to the New York Times as well as The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Harper's, New York Review of Books, Wired, Esquire, Mother Jones and others. If you do a good job, I'm willing to pay for it even when you put it online for free*.

*Which some, but not all, of those magazines do.

Draft saved Draft deleted