1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brownback drops out...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 20, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sam Brownback calls it quits on the presidential run...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2007/10/brownback_bows_out_of_2008_rac.php

Says he ran out of money. Fred Thompson likely sucked up the last of whatever he was getting.

Initially, this is probably good for Huckabee, who'll have a little less competition courting the vote of the religious right. Will also kick-start more speculation about a James-Dobson-backed third party candidate from that area of the electorate.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good, I didn't want to see him anywhere near the White House.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Story said he'd run for Governor of Kansas, Oz.

How are his chances there?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would figure if he could get the Kansas nod, he'd be home free . . . when does that job open for bids, again?

5. Probably pretty good, unless the electoral anti-GOP tsunami is bigger than even I think it might be.
    Liked Sam, even though I think his politics are wrong, and his Catholic theology bizarre. The guy dragged his ass to Africa to try to help. He's got a soul, I think.
    Meanwhile, Governor Huckabuck's going to be the guy for that end of the party, unless they shoot Grandpa Fred full of crystal meth in the next couple of weeks.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Guy on Russert's show (not MTP, the other one) had an interesting point last week.

Everyone thinks Huckabee should be doing better than he is. He's good in the debates, good on the stump, good personal story, lots of free media for the weight-loss thing, etc. But since the second-place at the straw poll, he hasn't done diddily-poo.

The guy was genuinely puzzled because although Huckabee doesn't have a lot of money, he has plenty of time, and yet he isn't spending it on the campaign in Iowa or New Hampshire. Which is weird.

I can't quite figure that campaign out.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Huckabee is certain to win now. He was endorsed by Chuck Norris!!! http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58255

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Call in the dogs and piss on the fires...

This one's over, folks.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My theory is the Rapture Righties already see the handwriting on the wall and are sitting this one out in droves. The frontrunners are unsatisfactory to them, and yet they have stolen all the oxygen in the room.

The Righties know Huckabee doesn't have a, er, prayer to win, just like Brownback didn't. Therefore, they seem to be husbanding their resources for something else — a third-party candidate, or maybe 2012.

Rudy is too liberal in areas for them, Romney is too Mormon for them (I don't get that either), McCain has cratered, and Fred is turning out to be no Ronnie Reagan.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Romney will get that far-right money and those far-right votes by the time this is sad and done.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What will absolutely crack me up is if the Republicans nominate Giuliani and the Democrats nominate anyone besides Clinton.

Rudy would get smoked.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Would Obama smoke Rudy?

I'd probably vote Obama, but I don't know if he'd smoke Mr. Mayor.

Draft saved Draft deleted