1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brown U. Hit With Federal Complaint After Sex Assault Scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Between Columbia and Brown, it's time to realize it's not just football factories covering up for star players:

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Brown should hire the Ravens' crisis management team. They'll have Sclove apologizing before it's over.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The guy was so well endowed that he blew her spine out.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Where do you get the idea that the guy was a star athlete or that Brown was covering up for him? All I'm reading here is that the girl didn't believe the punishment was sufficient after her appeal of the penalty was denied. Am I missing something here?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sorry if I was unclear.

I didn't mean that even Brown & Columbia cover for athletes. I meant that colleges in general to not handle this kind of thing well.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Wow, and I thought the only Brown making sex assault-related headlines today would be Manziel.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The way it seems to me is that Brown found that he raped her... and gave him a year's suspension for it. Seriously, which is just evil.

But hey, maybe he'll use this gap year to intern somewhere groovy and come back to school a more rounded person.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's disgusting to me that universities attempt to handle these things in-house without referring them to the criminal justice system. They discourage victims from seeking justice and in some instances cause the victim to lose legal remedies because these are young kids who are trusting of university administrators.

This past week I was talking to a reporter for a campus t.v. station. They were working on a story about a sexual assault victim who went through the university's system instead of going to the courts. The guy was found responsible, and banned from campus for a year. Now the year is up, he's back on campus and no one had bothered to even warn the young woman. She finds out he's back on campus by seeing him in the dining hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted