1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brooks Laich makes up for game 7 choke by changing a fan's tire.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 29, 2010.

1. JR

JR Active Member

This is right up there with "Black Hawks jump on a bus and go to GM's father's funeral in the wilds of Canada"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/brooks_laich_changes_a_tire_af.html

Mother and daughter are driving home from Caps game last night. Car gets a flat. Brooks Laich stops and puts on the spare.

Finally, an SUV slowed down ahead of them and pulled over. And then Brooks Laich got out and asked if he could help.
    Since the Triple A folks were already on the way, Mary Ann asked Brooks -- whom she immediately recognized -- if he'd just wait with them by the side of the road. Instead, he asked whether they had a spare. Mary Ann said they did. So he took off his jacket -- he was still wearing his post-game suit -- got out the tire, and started jacking up the car.

Talk about the kindness of strangers.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Did Joe Girardi stop by as well?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sure makes up for the choke. The NHL call the Habs and tell them to go on home?
    It's a nice "good samaratan" gesture and all that I've never heard anything but good things about Brooks Laich.

Trust me, it does not make up for the choke. Game 7 choke? Series choke, please.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, kudos to Brooks. But the series was lost in the first 10 minutes of Game 5.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tell him to change out Semin's ticker and I'll really be impressed.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the wilds of Gravenhurst.

7. Oz

Oz Active Member

I originally thought it was lost in the third period of Game 2, when the Habs choked away a 4-1 lead and a chance to go up 2-0 in the series.

8. JR

JR Active Member

In an unheated school bus. The tale grew with the telling

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Surprised he didn't lose a lugnut and sprain his wrist while trying to change it, then get pushed aside when AAA showed up to put the tire on.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I thought so too. Then the Caps got arrogant and played the first 10 minutes of Game 5 like it was a December home game against the Panthers.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Turns out that Gilbert Arenas had shot the tire because the lady cut him off.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

I second Moddy. Laich's "Good Samaritan" act is natural for him. I like hearing stories like this, but that team is a choke. I like Boudreau, but the inability to make a change during the series, and for that matter, in the playoffs, is a cause of concern for this team.

They were too good to choke, with or without the President's Trophy jinx.

Montreal had a hot goalie and the team played with nothing to lose.

Draft saved Draft deleted