1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts of Flatbush

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jul 11, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a d_b.

I don't know if this is the premier but I haven't seen it yet. It's on HBO right now (10 - 12 central time) and will be repeated on HBO West at 1 a.m. (2 a.m. eastern time).

If you're a fan of baseball history, you want to tune it in.

EDIT: Damn, I was mistaken. It was on HBO2 at the time I was seeing it and won't be repeated later tonight.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

as most of hbo's sports specials, it was great. deserving of this bump.8) 8) 8)

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's on again Saturday morning. The TiVo is set to get the whole thing.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I watched it today and it is lovely. But a BD doc w/out Roger Kahn is flawed.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Watching it now. So far, it's magnificent.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Liev Schreiber.... It's like he is the Joe Torre of acting.

A pretty good actor, but his second career as HBO's singular narrator has had much more enduring quality.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Last year, I had an opportunity to interview Rachel Robinson. She's class and carries herself with a regal air. It was an honor to spend time talking with her.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

she is also quite beautiful. 8) 8)

regarding complaints of no vin scully, no roger kahn, etc., it always disappoints re: how some on this board look for holes instead of enjoying what is there. no kahn or scully didn't take away anything for me.

it's like the editor who isn't pleased with your takeout because 10 people have been quoted but he wonders why you didn't get the 10th person. i hate that crap. :eek: ::) ???

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Like I said on the thread about this a couple of weeks ago...

Anything HBO has ever done with sports has been absolute gold, in my opinion. This was no different. I watched it this morning and thought it was all magnificent.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My only point about Vin Scully is this: He's been with the Dodgers for 60 years. You couldn't talk to him at all?

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it (I split up the two parts over two nights) and it was fantastic.

I agree that Rachel Robinson just emanates class.

Good story on the move to L.A., too.

Also, thank goodness for TiVo. I slowed down the Jackie Robinson steal of home in the World Series and darn if he wasn't safe (looked like the throw was going to get him, but he got in quickly and Berra was late with the tag).

Not many left from that '55 team. Among those not interviewed: Bob Borkowski (nine games!), Don Zimmer, George Shuba, Billy Loes, Ed Roebuck, Roger Craig, Sandy Koufax (12 games), Tommy LaSorda (four games) and Don Newcombe.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I stayed up until 2:30 in the morning watching it.

Brilliant piece.

And I agree with the comment about HBO's sports specials. Always great.

Draft saved Draft deleted