1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brooke Hundley on CBS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/06/17/brooke-hundley-hammers-away-at-espns-locker-room-culture-on-the-cbs-early-show/

I have no doubt about her claims that there is a locker room mentality and culture when it comes to women at ESPN. The cases are too numerous to list here. But let me see if I have her timeline straight, according to this interview: 1. She gets sexual advances and overtures from Phillips. 2. She goes to higher-ups and they pretty much dismiss her. 3. Her answer is to go ahead and have the affair?

Had to love the way she phrased the reaction of one ESPN female executive: "They told me to suck it up."

Reckon she did.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

BTW ... she dresses up halfway decent.

3. $15K? Damn, ESPN....prempt an AWA Wrestling episode on ESPN Classic. The loss you take on that should suffice her needs.

Looking at the bigger picture for Ms. Hundley: isn't there going to be a huge red stop sign in the minds of whoever she next attempts to work for?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the 15 K is a minimum amount to file this kind of suit. I see that on a lot of lawsuits. She's no doubt asking for more.

5. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

Sheesh, I don't know what Phillips was thinking - there should have been a huge red stop sign with her to begin with.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread is already full of class.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not to rehash this nauseating story, or debate the legal merits of her lawsuit....but:

Most women in the sports business have been advised at some point to 'deal with it,' to not make a big fuss over inappropriate advances/behavior by colleagues. I received that advice, and I have given it. It's not right, or fair, or professional, but it's reality. Be tough and classy, get over it and get used to it.

Few women, if any, interpret that advice to mean, 'you should go ahead and sleep with the guy, that's how we do it around here.'

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm not understand how Brooke could consent to this sexual relationship, then go as far as leaving notes at the Phillips' house and engaging in borderline if not full-blown stalking after Phillips cuts her off, yet she sues ESPN for not doing something about Phillips' initial sexual advances?

Does that add up to anyone else?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, and the woman interviewing her on CBS should have jumped on it. I'd really like to hear Hundley explain in a depo why she complained about Phillips making advances, was rebuffed by ESPN brass then essentially told herself, "what the hell ... I'll just go ahead and have the affair."

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

11. CR19

CR19 Member

Brooke Hundley... she wasn't on Tiger Wood's list of lovers, right?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You forgot .... then sue ESPN

Draft saved Draft deleted