1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bronson Arroyo just doesn't care

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

On two consecutive June 24ths (this year and last) Arroyo has faced the Jays in Toronto. His total for the two starts:

4.2 IP, 19H, 16ER, 6HR, 4BB

June 24, 2009 - 3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 3HR, 3BB
    June 24, 2008 - 1.0 IP, 11 H, 10 ER, 3 HR, 1 BB

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like Bronson wouldn't mind being a Yankee some day.

3. mb

mb Active Member

The one quote in there that really stopped me:

"It might be dangerous," he says, "but so is drinking and driving. And how many of us do it at least once a year? Pretty much everybody."

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Speak for yourself.

This is a guy who lives on a boat three months a year and thinks he has honest-to-God musical talent.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that drunk driving quote made me cringe. No, everybody's not doing it anymore.

But the rest was outstanding. I used to work in his hometown, staying in touch and seeing him over the offseason, and can attest that Arroyo is as down-to-earth as it gets. I was thrilled when he came to the Reds, though he's all over the map on performance.

And the JTM commercials are classic. Unfortunately I haven't seen any new ones this year.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Mike Francesca certainly wouldn't mind Bronson being a Yankee.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

To be fair, he did not say everybody gets drunk and then drives. He said they drink and drive.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. But the MADD types could jump all over that if so inclined.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This story completely sums up why MLB is never going to get this mess solved. If drugstore supplements can trigger a 'positive' result, which they definitely can, you're either going to have to re-define exactly what constitutes a PED, or be prepared for endless 'Positive!' headlines.

There's a huge difference between a guy stabbing himself in the ass with a syringe filled with illegal growth hormone, and a guy chugging Muscle Milk and taking GNC supplements. In an era with so much advanced medicine, we're telling multimillion-dollar athletes they have to rehab injuries like it's the 1940s.

The whole premise has been to eradicate the 'unfair advantage' given those who take illegal drugs (and by illegal I mean as defined by federal law). Completely fair and appropriate. But to include every possible kind of PED under one leaky umbrella...archaic and absurd.

Good for Arroyo.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

True. His reaction likely would be: I don't give a F----.

Mine? I'd politely explain to them that although I don't come close to consuming mass quantities of alcohol I have enjoyed a drink or two at dinner and then proceeded to drive home soberly and safely.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That commercial is fucking amazing.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He should be in a group with Neifi Perez called "I took bad performance enhancing drugs."

Draft saved Draft deleted