1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos WR McKinley found dead, apparent suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

To follow up on Alex's post I have to share a post Travis Haney did for us very early this a.m. Played up that smile, too.
    Sad stuff. Pro athlete or no, just awful. I have kids that age. I can't imagine

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/21/kenny-mckinleys-greatness-captured-in-his-smile-not-just-yards/

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Cross-threading with concussions -- because I don't mean to sound ghoulish -- I wonder if the family is going be asked to let researchers take a look at McKinley's brain, given the signs of trauma-related brain disease in the Penn player who killed himself. I don't know whether McKinley had ever been diagnosed with a concussion, but the Penn player never had been.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing. Anybody on the So. Carolina beat remember him missing games or practice because of a concussion?

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I was going to mention the concussion debate in my post, Bob, but I wasn't ready to add that yet.

I feel that there is a probable cross-thread between concussions and mental health issues.

5. Umm... not to state the obvious but... if he died of a gunshot wound it was probably to the head. Not sure if his brain would be any condition to be studied by anyone.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't they just need a little bit of brain tissue, though?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Might be easier now. On a side note I think Braylon Edwards should have his brain checked.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Whatever brain tissue he had at one point early in life has now been probably been drank or smoked out of his skull, so that would be a moot point.

9. Covered a few games for both kids when they were in high school. Two really nice kids and outstanding athletes. Damn shame.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is an assumption based on lots of information you don't have. I hope the possibility is at least explored.

Draft saved Draft deleted