1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos WR McKinley found dead, apparent suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Sep 20, 2010.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Relax, dude.

2. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You'd think it would be someone on the Browns.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

It's sad. He's actually the second star athlete from his high school's graduating class, South Cobb outside Atlanta, to die at an early age. DeAndre Adams, a Winthrop basketball star, was killed in a car accident about 3 years ago.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the AP story:

Several Broncos players were attending a fundraiser Monday night in honor of Darrent Williams, their teammate who was killed in a drive-by shooting on Jan. 1, 2007.

Damn, how friggin' awful is that. RIP.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I recently read a USA Today sports article about Shawn Andrews and how he was battling depression. The comments that followed the story got me pissed off on how much fans and teams have no understanding that athletes have to hide the fact the fact that they are "not right in the head."

Being a selfish-ass athlete is different that an athlete having serious problems internally and mentally.

I have great interest in the subject of mental health/depression/suicide in sports, because I battled it in high school and in college. Hearing about McKinley's death bothers me greatly.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How can you differentiate between the two? The selfish-ass athlete might have problems of his own, and how he portrays himself could be a defense mechanism. It's just too easy to just each athlete merely by their exterior. Still, a very interesting topic.

9. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

I covered McKinley for his entire career at South Carolina and there was never a more warm person you'd meet. This guy had a smile that literally lit up a room. He was always laughing, cutting up with teammates, an all-around fun guy.

We had a nickname for him: "Yeah, yeah." He had this tick where when you sat him down in front of reporters, his first two or three answers to a question were pretty concise. You'd keep going and eventually he'd be asked the question and before he'd answer he would go "Yea" like 15 times and then start. It was his thinking mechanism.

He was back in Columbia two weekends ago for South Carolina's win over Georgia and everyone who ran into him, even coach Spurrier, said he seemed in good spirits. Honestly, I think we underestimated how important football was to him. You know how some guys want to play but it doesn't eat them up. I think being injured and not being able to play in the NFL really ate him up. Guess it was just too much for him. Hope he finds peace now. A good guy who deserved it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many active players have the Broncos lost in the last five years? That's got to be the third? That's insane...

RIP

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Three since New Year's Day 2007.

12. this is pretty awful. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted