1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos whack McDaniels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

George Shaw started, for a good while . . . but my recollection is that the guy who replaced him was just a shade better.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of those 19, there are only six whom I would say have earned the kind of money they got as rookies. Maybe some others will be late-bloomers, who knows? In a salary cap world, I think its safer drafting at other positions unless you really believe someone is a franchise QB... and I wouldn't put that tag on anybody in either last year's or this year's class.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I bet Jake Locker falls out of the first round and gets scooped up in the second ...

By Seattle.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

First or second pick, no. Most veterans aren't worth that money, but that hits any position whether you are drafting a QB or LT. You end up with those picks and you're rolling the dice regardless of position you are drafting.

As far as franchise QBs last year and this year I would argue Bradford has that potential last year. This year I would say Luck and Mallett do. I don't know about Newton at the next level, he could end up being anything from an Akili Smith to a Kordell Stewart to a Jay Cutler to a McNaab to a Vick. Far too much of a wild card. I'm not even that impressed with Locker this year.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The thing is if you draft a DT or linebacker high, you're not shelling out the kind of money you do for a top-pick QB. It's a gamble, no doubt. And the teams that have gambled and gone bust, it sets the franchise back several years.

On the other hand, how do you account for teams that passed on the likes of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc.?

Inexact science, which is why I am sure am glad I'm not a personnel guy.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I would argue the money isn't that far off -- every year the pick seemingly resets the record or comes close to resetting the record for whatever position is picked.

It absolutely is an inexact science, a complete crapshoot. Every year there are guys that are taken later which I am sure teams have their fingers crossed that they turn into the next Brady or Brees. From this past draft alone I'm sure the Browns were thinking big things when they picked McCoy, for example, but then so were the Cards when they took John Skelton out of Fordham in the fifth round and we'll all see how well that will pan out this weekend.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

December 11, 2009; No. Locker was a legitimate Top 10 pick a year ago and should have went pro.

December 11, 2010; Yes. Locker has fallen out of the Top 10, and probably even out of the first round; Mallett is a physical spcimen; I can see the Raiders or Cardinals taking him.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Cardinals, as usual, were looking for something cheap with longshot upside.

Whiz will hand the kid a cigarette and blindfold before he walks out for the first series.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Great line.

But at the same time is that not what the Pats were thinking when they drafted Brady (heap and longshot upside)? Pretty sure they didn't think Brady would be Brady/.

Not saying I think Skelton is the next Brady by any stretch. The hope I'm sure is there by the Cardinals when they picked him that he becomes some diamond in the rough.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might be misunderstanding this, but Brees was hardly a late-round gem. He was the first pick of the second round, and the second QB taken in 2001 (after Michael Vick, who was No. 1 overall).

Draft saved Draft deleted