1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos media oops?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff Gluck, Nov 24, 2006.

1. powerplay

powerplay Member

Here's a question for Klis:

If you were present at the press conference and could describe with such detail how it all went down, why didn't YOU ask the question? It's pretty easy to criticize the rest of the reporters after the fact, but if you were there and chose not to speak up, then you're just as guilty as those you chose to indict.

2. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I assumed Klis was including himself in it already

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Shanahan leaves with no one having choked a query out of their piehole, the media blew it.

You can't wait for someone else to be the dick. Be a dick yourself.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the same way I read it... To be fair, I've been in a zillion press conferences where no one wants to ask the first question.

5. powerplay

powerplay Member

OK, let's take a look at these two passages:

"But the obvious inquiry - whether Plummer would lose his job to Cutler - seemed to inflict the media contingent with a collective case of stage fright."

And

"No doubt, the Broncos believe Cutler will perform better under pressure than the media covering him."

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like he was including himself to me. I don't see how you can read it any different than he was trashing his own media brethren.

6. Mizzougrad96

Considering Klis is the Broncos beat writer how could he not be included in that group?

7. powerplay

powerplay Member

Well then, that makes it even more bizarre that he would write that and take a shot at himself, doesn't it? I could see a columnist hearing about it and then bringing up the point in a column, but what was the context of his story. Was it a straight follow-up or a notebook or what?

8. i don't see how this could happen. in this situation, you're pushing each other out of the way to ask the critical question - especially if you're dealing with a coach who doesn't have a great reputation as being patient and understanding with the media.

these guys are pros. pretty shocking they could let it happen

9. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I got the impression it was a self-effacing comment by Klis. I think Bill Williamson is actually the beat writer though, and Klis is perhaps the national football guy? Although it seems Klis does a lot of the gamers, so I don't know. Help me out, Post-ers.

By the way, not speaking about this situation specifically, but sometimes I remind myself that we're basically representatives of millions of people who want answers to questions they can't ask.

We are put in a room with the people who have the answers; so we have to ask the questions, even if they're uncomfortable.

(Now watch, I'll probably wimp out at the next opportunity and look like a hypocrite)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is a good lesson, though.

A lot of times guys would rather not ask that question if there are 20 others in the room. Let one of them do it.

But if you give a guy a slight opening and he takes it, you're screwed.

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't know the setup but Williamson has been covering the NFL a lot longer than Klis has. If I'm not mistaken, Klis was a baseball guy up until recently...

12. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Klis was the Rockies guy for a while. In fact, I think he broke the humidor story.

Draft saved Draft deleted