1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos media oops?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff Gluck, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's not even pouncing, just knowing the coach's cadence and approach. You don't have to shout, but you need to be ready before there is an opening to end it. Of course, Plummer's play, again, did speak for itself.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Y'all are right, the question should have been asked sooner. Since it wasn't, I'll give you The Mastermind's answer.
    Nothing has been decided. I need to watch the tape.

The whole I-would've-answered-it-but-now-I'm-not bullshit is little more than a smokescreen.

3. being "ready before there is an opening to end it" = pouncing

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Broncos have some pretty good beat writers. My guess is that since this was a late game, most were either writing or hitting the locker room first rather than going to a press conference... I know if I have to choose between the locker room or a coach's presser after a late game, I'm going to the locker room 99 percent of the time because players are more likely to say something newsworthy than the coach...

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that their quarterback is a moron and the offensive linemen won't talke to the media.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just saying, if you're a beat writer and you have to guess who is more likely to say something, I'd bet on getting Plummer at his locker rather than Shanahan in a press conference...

Obviously, the question should have been asked, but I think this is more a case of Shanahan being a dick than the Denver media screwing up.

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Kiszla (a Mizzougrad favorite) wrote a column in which he shed more light on how Shanahan escaped.

----------------------
    With speculation running rampant all week on Plummer's imminent dismissal as the team's starting quarterback, Shanahan turned a tense situation into an ugly joke, and asked his beleaguered quarterback to catch the brunt of it.

"Any questions?" Shanahan asked a circle of reporters after giving a brief summation of a defeat that dropped the Broncos to 7-4, two losses behind San Diego in the AFC West standings. When there was an awkward silence of no more than two seconds, Shanahan walked out of the news conference.

In the locker room, the coach refused to comment, leaving Plummer, Cutler and confused teammates to fend for themselves and deal with a quarterback controversy that is rotting this team from the inside.
    ----------------------------

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

B-B-But ESPN says he's a genius!

9. As comes as no surprise, a dick move by Shanahan.

I think he knew the whole time he was going to pull that move, seeing how he was halfway out the door within 1.5 seconds of asking, 'Any questions?'

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't THAT late of a game. Over at 9:20 MST or so.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

But there's no such thing as a deadline in these days of a 24-hour news cycle. [/ap, gannett, all other fucktarded organizations who put expediency far ahead of accuracy]

12. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Denver Post's Mike Klis writes that basically, the media choked...

-------------------------------------------
    Shanahan is expected to publicly address the much-discussed quarterback switch for the first time Monday, after the media failed to approach it immediately following the Broncos' loss Thursday night. After opening his postgame news conference with a statement, Shanahan asked reporters if there were any questions.

But the obvious inquiry - whether Plummer would lose his job to Cutler - seemed to inflict the media contingent with a collective case of stage fright.

After an awkward, uncomfortable silence, Shanahan walked away from the podium. He has done this before, only to return if a tardy question is delivered.

Yet, as Shanahan walked away, not a sound was uttered until longtime Broncos public relations guru Jim Saccomano said, "I guess there were no questions."

No doubt, the Broncos believe Cutler will perform better under pressure than the media covering him.
    -----------------------------------------

Draft saved Draft deleted