1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos Hire Josh McDaniels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jan 11, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If the sonuvabitch was any good, he'd have gone to Mount Union.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bad move.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

why?

5. MileHigh

Because the problem is with the defense, not the offense. The offensive coaches already on staff/under contract were decent. They actually got a lot out of that group despite having seven running backs on IR and no run game to speak of. The defense has killed them for the past three years.

So bring in a proven defensive coach to rehab it. The offense if fine.

If Spaguolo turned them down tonight after the Giants lost, fine. Then bring in Leslie Frazier. Not a 12-year-old offensive coach when the problem is the defense. And then you've got a head coach who has to prove himself because he's so young/unproven.

Plus, Belichick assistants have proven to be flops.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

McDaniels is an offensive guy, but believe it or not, he got his start with the Pats as a low-ranking defensive assistant. Probably doesn't mean much, but I'm sure he realizes the need to completely revamp the defense.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Re: Broncos Hire Josh McDaniel

"It's McDaniels, not McDonald. These rhymes are Darryl's, the b-b-b-burgers are RONALD's!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

8. MileHigh

Yes, one year, coaching the secondary. Not exactly defensive coordinator material.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

No, not at all, but I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to realize the need to hire a strong defensive coordinator.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I love this move, because I believe that the main problem with the Broncos is with the talent and not with the coaches. I'd imagine a 32-year-old first-time head coach would have a lot to prove, and would thus spend all the time it takes to identify and secure talent. As a disciple of BelichickI'd imagine his devotion is even greater.

This should be fun.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When in doubt, find the local team's metro publication:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11430967

Interesting names being floated about for the DC job. McDaniels would be wise to hire a strong one and let him run with it.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In doubt?

Looks like it's confirmed by the team on ESPN.com, not on the denverpost.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234

Draft saved Draft deleted