1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos fire Shanahan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 30, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is Bowlen really going to give another coach the same kind of power that Shanahan had, meaning final say over all personnel moves? That's what it is going to take to get Cowher.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't think Cowher wants the Shanahan situation as much as he wants what Belichick has -- a personnel department run by his guys. He doesn't need the power per se as much as he wants a personnel man that he feels comfortable with.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Tell that to Browns fans ... or Lions fans ... or Cardinals fans ... or

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it is somewhere in between. It doesn't just have to be a personnel department that he is comfortable with. I think he is going to want to be able to overrule them if they disagree. He fought to get that type of power in Pittsburgh and I doubt he would take any less now.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed, but none of those teams had a "Mastermind" as head coach. If Shanahan was as good as they say, he'd have done better post-Elway.

Bowlen is a pretty good owner. I don't think he makes this move without knowing who he wants to replace Shanahan.

6. You can't talk to a gay man like that!

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

or Cowboys fans

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well, they saw he was available and wanted to see if he could make the transition from wing to tailback. Didn't workout I guess.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

As a Broncos fan for 18 of my 24 years, I can safely say that I am sad, but encouraged by the decision. I love Shanahan for what he did; for forming a friendship with Elway that redeemed the dickwad Reeves years; for finding offensive talent anywhere, ANYWHERE; for assembling a good, quick defense in its heyday; for winning two damn Super Bowls when I was at my peak of sports fandom.

But the best bread in the world will grow stale after a while.

Bowlen is probably the best, most loyal owner in sports, and I'd have to believe he'll go after a young personnel guy, like Pioli if he can get him, to reassemble the parts. It won't take much reassembling. The Broncos have a B young quarterback, an A young wideout crew, a B offensive line, a B linebacking crew and Fs everywhere else. I think people forget how much of a loss Darrent Williams (RIP brother) was. He WAS the heir apparent to Champ, who is clearly fading. Now, it begins with the defensive line, which is the most important unit in all of football, and if the next personnel guy can hit on one or two picks and find a suitable free agent, Denver's right back in the mix.

And now, I will go grab my Elway Sports Illustrated T-Shirt and shake in the closet.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will be interesting to see if Pioli/Cowher become the subject of bidding wars.

I'd probably prefer Cowher because he'll bring his own guys in who did quite well in Pittsburgh.

Pioli is frequently tabbed as a genius, and maybe rightfully so, but everybody has a right to wonder how much credit he gets for the success in New England and how much goes to Belichick.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There is no one better on the market than Shanahan.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Shanahan has one playoff win since Elway retired. ONE.

Yes, he'll always deserve credit (along with Terrell Davis) for getting Elway to the top, something that Reeves couldn't do. But his record since Elway retired is very ordinary.

Draft saved Draft deleted