1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos fire Shanahan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 30, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree the Dolphins shouldn't have shoved Shula out, but I'm not sure he was the answer either.

The last 10 years sans Elway and Davis make it pretty clear Shanahan is not the answer.

Another question: Anyone think Elway might be the new grand poobah in the front office there? The AFL is tits up. Maybe Bowlen brings in the legend to run the team?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Didn't win enough playoff games, but his record was NEVER bad. And, still, he was the only one to win with Elway.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A death rattle?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're right on Elway. But how long does the guy ride that?

1-4 in the playoffs since Elway left. The scores: 21-3 L to the Ravens (2000), 41-10 L to the Colts (2003), 49-24 L to the Colts (2004), 27-13 W over Patriots (2005), 34-17 L to the Steelers (2005). They got HAMMERED, every time. At some point, it's the coach's fault.

There's been no continuity at RB as Shanahan keeps trying to prove how smart he is by plugging anyone this side of you or I into the backfield. The defense has sucked four years running. It was time for him to go.

5. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

The Broncos needed a change. I was surprised because Bowlen had said numerous times that Shanahan would be in Denver for as long as he wanted to be there. As has been said before on this thread, Shanahan is a really good, if not great, coach. But he is a horrible GM and VP. That's what doomed him and the Broncos for the past 7-10 years. He can coach talent, but he can't pick it out very well. He should just stick to coaching.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is how Canadian I am. I couldn't figure out what the Broncos were doing with Brendan Shanahan in the first place. :-\

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting reading the fan reactions from the Denver papers. Most approve of the move. Shanahan has gone 0-2-1 with his qb choices to replace Elway. I began to question his drafting judgement when he picked Tommy Mattox in the first round when Elway had at least five years left. His inability to get a decent defense was also a puzzlement.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Mattox? Really?

God, I think I need a Maalox.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Tommy Mattox or Tommy MaddoXFL, who was drafted by Dan Reeves in 1992?

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I believe its Tommy BigBentookyourjobox.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if they tried to make him give up the GM title.

He was a god-awful GM.

I don't know if he was a great coach. He was with Elway and Terrell Davis. George Seifert won two titles as well...

He's won one playoff game in the almost 10 years since Elway retired. You can almost do that by default in the NFL.

All that said, I don't think Bowlen makes this move unless he thinks he can get Cowher.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Two Super Bowl titles that turned around the franchise's reputation. Two losing seasons in 14. Played for AFC Championship 3 years ago. Made me a shitload of money in SB XXXII.

Idiotic, bloated, arrogant move by Bowlen.

Draft saved Draft deleted