1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos cornerback killed in drive-by

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fromdawntodesk, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

thanks for the backup on lidle. i thought i was alone in this.

yahoo also not giving the story necessary coverage.

2. freaky styley

freaky styley Member

now the Rose Bowl story is ESPN's main art and the NFL playoffs are the smaller picture to the side.

williams's death has fallen to the second headline item, between mora and green's firings. curious, espn, who's making editorial decisions over there?

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Something else that bears mention here is that a lot of these altercations aren't the players' fault. As many times as a "I can do whatever I want" player or his posse does something foolish, there seems about 4-5 times as many incidents where some drunk dude starts something with the player, wanting to 'put him in his place,' or to make a name off of getting over on the player.

Somebody close to me use to bodyguard for Mark McGwire, and he'd tell me stories of how guys at clubs and bars were always trying to get into it with McGwire, just to 'prove' their own toughness or whatever. And a lot of women would do stupid things as well, and when they were spurned, they'd go and tell a boyfriend/male friend(s) that McGwire, et. al 'dissed' her and they should go beat him up, etc.

Again, I don't know the details of this incident, but there's a lot of crazy stuff that goes on where celebrities are involved. Even if Williams had a 'posse' with him, it might not have been his/their fault.

Whatever the case, let's hope that the matter is expeditiously resolved and those responsible are found and tried.

MileHigh - yeah, I don't know what is going on with Denver right now. Is it more gang activity? What you said about California rings true. I was living out there when there really started to be a rise in shootings on the 405 and other highways. It was just crazy, and I remember how scared everybody was to drive the freeways. Man, we've got to pull this society together with this out-of-control violent activity.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what's going on out here. I hope it wasn't an altercation over the result of the game and it turned into this crap.

5. Wasn't Joey Porter shot outside Shotgun Willies? That's pretty far from LoDo, and nearby Glendale, one of Denver's more sketchy neighborhoods.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You know, that's a good point. I didn't even think of that angle. With tensions running high for fans and players, I could definitely see that happening. Sad, but very possible.

7. MileHigh

No, it was Denver's Best Sports Bar and Grille, in LoDo.

8. MileHigh

Channel 9 News reported just now that reportedly, Javon Walker also was in the limo but was not hurt.

9. what you describe doesn't sound much different from SportsJournalists.com... anonymous internet cowboys running around trying to show how tough they are... (and if it doesn't apply to you, just ignore the comment.)

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Floss a little bit?

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yeah, I need help with that term, too...

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=floss

Draft saved Draft deleted