1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos cornerback killed in drive-by

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fromdawntodesk, Jan 1, 2007.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Very sad. Kind of makes missing out on a playoff spot seem awfully meaningless, doesn't it?

On a related note, good work by the Post to get a story up so quickly, given that this occured in the wee hours of the morning and the staff had likely long since left for the night.

2. Heinken

I know what you're saying...but... I did not grow up in squalor. I had two supportive (divorced) parents. I believe I have pretty good values. When I started making a little money between the ages of 27-34, I bought a nice car, a little bling, tailor-made suits and I liked to kick it, especially when my boys from home/college would come to town or I would visit them. We hit the clubs hard. That's what young people do. These athletes are human beings. They like to do what other young people do, go to clubs, chase tail and floss a little bit. It's natural. Until I hear about drugs being involved or someone in Williams' "posse" pulling a gun or something, I think we should regard this as nothing more than another random act of violence in the most violent allegedly civilized country in the world.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. Heck of a way to wake up this morning. That's a shock, really.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This is how I feel.

I certainly sympathize with what Heineken is saying, however. Hopefully, the 'hyper-posse-fication' thing isn't the case in the Williams incident.

Either way, a young man is dead at the age of 24. Just tragic.

And it's also tragic that it takes someone of fame to be killed like this for people like me to wake up to how much this type of thing does happen in this country every day.

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Man they don't make the playoffs and they have this happen to them.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is just ... wow. Numbing. I was driving home last night from some friends and was about four blocks from where this took place and about 15 minutes before it happened. This is tragic beyond belief. And this seems to be on the rise out here. Joey Porter was shot a few years ago in LoDo. Julius Hodge was shot on a freeway northeast of the city. It's like I'm back in California again. Wow.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

This gem from Peter King...as always, it turns into about him.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/31/week17/index.html

I knew Williams. I met him last year when I was writing about impact rookies, exchanged phone numbers, and talked to him three or four times.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I generally don't get on the soap box about this sort of thing, but I think it's worth mentioning that Williams is currently just a headline on the side box at espn.com, while the NFL playoffs and the Rose Bowl coaches matchup take spots of higher prestige. I don't remember exactly what Cory Lidle's death was given on ESPN.com, and I realize that the freak and 9/11-inducing aspects of it have greater impact, but, seriously. A very good, well-known athlete was just cut down in his prime. Why in the hell is this the top story on CNN.com, but not on ESPN????

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

R.I.P. Darrent Williams
    [​IMG]

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I thought that too, good job by the post.

What a terrible thing to happen to a promising young player. Prayers.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I was just trying to figure out the same thing. Let's hope that they're waiting for something else to give it more mainstream coverage. I saw the headline on the side box and thought, "Oh, it's down here, must have been a practice player." How wrong I was, sadly.

Very tragic. I'll be keeping him in mind.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tatum Bell said on ESPN several players were at a club and "there was some kind of altercation."

Draft saved Draft deleted