1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos beat reporter, Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Wow, just shy of $38K for a guy on the Broncos beat at the Post? Even if he/she's the backup, that should be a better figure.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, weekly.

3. I think you get credit for years of service at daily papers, even if not at the Post. So a six-year newspaper veteran could get hired at the sixth rung. (Also, keep in mind these are minimums, and nothing is stopping the paper from paying more.)

At least that's the way it's worked at the Guild places where I've worked.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

I have a hunch someone with no year's of experience is not going to get this job.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Dam, I guess I am out of the running already. lol

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's never too soon to bust that line out of the arsenal, jp.

you're showing a ton of promise.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, it's amazing what we can do around here if we actually know about a topic before we post. you might want to check into that.

8. Schefter was making six figures at the Post. I doubt Williamson was making that much, but I'll bet he was close, probably in the 70s or 80s.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

How much experience do you think will be preferred for a job like this?

10. If it's truly a backup job, it wouldn't surprise me if just a few years of covering the NFL would suffice. The Post has a reputation for hiring people from the smaller local dailies like Longmont (Saunders), Colorado Springs (Klis) and Boulder (Dempsey) so it wouldn't stun me if they looked at someone like Schwab.

Of course the current SE could be a lot more willing to bring in national candidates than the previous ones were. This job will certainly generate national interest.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Can this Schwab be stumped?

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Troy Renck worked in Longmont too, IIRC. He crushes the Rocky Mountain News on the Rockies' beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.