1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos beat reporter, Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopefully Frank Schwab is high on this list.

2. Ryan Thorburn from the Boulder Daily Camera would be an excellent choice for this job.

He's been very underutilized there since the paper scaled back its pro coverage.

3. jps

jps Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Ryan Thorburn's mom.

* I don't know, TP ... too soon for a repeat? I just ... I just want to be so much like you. ;)

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Adam Schefter now of NFL Network started at the Denver Post as the paper's Broncos beat reporter. Maybe he wants his old job back.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'm surprised. I never thought I'd see a Lean Dean publication advertise FOR a job. I wonder how all those folks who took buyouts, were laid off or fired by Lean's hatchet men feel about that.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He actually started at the Rocky Mountain News... One of the best NFL reporters around before he left for the NFL Network.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

He switched papers during training camp and didn't tell anyone at the RMN. They found out by reading the Post that morning.

One of the most legendary paper switches ever. I was covering the Olympics in Atlanta at the time and that's where his boss was when he found out.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I never heard that story on Schefter. Did someone clean out his desk at the RMN and move it out via Mayflower in the middle of the night?

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Wow, pretty low-class by Schefter, but that doesn't surprise me. Pretty weasely guy.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

His Wikipedia page only talks about the Post.
    Also I thought the Post was the flagship newspaper for Lean Dean and MediaNews. He is the Publisher still for the paper. So I guess he wants only the best for his baby.

Anyways this is a great gig and one that only shows up every blue moon. So what do you think the salary for a backup beat writer would be?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guild paper.
    Here were last ranges:

1st Year: $724
    2nd year: $787
    3rd year: $855
    4th year: $948
    5th year: $1041
    6th year: $1267

The contract just expired, but I don't know how much, if any, salaries are going up.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

This is weekly right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.