1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bronco Meltdown Post Mortem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No doubt with most embarrising performance ever in Super Bowl , the stories
    of why will start to roll in. Here one of first out of game:

Broncos' Wes Welker: We didn't prepare well for noise

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323440/article/broncos-wes-welker-we-didnt-prepare-well-for-noise

It's interesting to note that in Wednesday's pool report from the Broncos' practice, USA Today's Jarrett Bell told us that John Fox -- who previously had been to Super Bowls with the Carolina Panthers as a coach and the New York Giants as a defensive coordinator -- turned down the simulated crowd noise during practice.

"Normally, it's about five times louder than that," Fox said at the time. "It's not an away game. The ones I've been to haven't been too loud. So we just kind of practice with what we think we're going to get."

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't exaggerate, Boom. One of the most is true, most is not. I say that after having covered Super Bowls XX, XXII, XXIV and XXIX.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think he's probably right. I thought they would lose, but were any of those other teams favored?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was the most embarrassing loss in Super Bowl history.

There have been worse beat downs, but not by favored teams with the league MVP at QB.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There has never been a bigger differential between the point spread and the actual game differential in the 48 games.

The more I look at this game, the worse it is.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Worst Super Bowl game I've seen in my lifetime. I wasn't stunned Seattle won, but I was stunned the way they dominated and how inept every aspect of the best offense in the league was.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Maybe the media will learn not to tongue a player's rectum for destroying Oakland, Jacksonville, Tennessee and a host of other bad teams during the course of a season.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree. This was much worse than the other four Super Bowl beatdowns. Yes, worse than 55-10 because there was zero expectation they were going to win that game. They at least led in XXI and XXII and were quasi-competitive for a little bit.

Not this thing. It was over at the botched coin toss. Holliday ran the opening kick out from virtually the back of the end zone. Safety on the first play. The only real glimmer of hope was holding the Seahawks to two early field goals. For as terrible as the start was, it was *only* 8-0.

Then the roof caved in and PFM was completely out of his element. He looked tight. He played tight. They all did. Players. Coaches. Water boys. Miscalculations by the coaches. Shit, two weeks of preparation and the very damn first play of the game is that safety?

And John Fox and the rest of the coaches didn't put in silent snap counts -- and turned down the speakers at practice on Wednesday -- because they didn't think it would be loud? All week, people were saying and writing Seahawks fans were all over New York. They didn't go all that way to watch it on a TV.

There was not one instance to be excited about the Broncos. Not one.

It was humiliating. Embarrassing. And a joke on many levels. But they have to own it and it's on the coaching staff and Elway to make it right, to make it so they can take that next step. But, yeah, this one is going to sting for a long time.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Broncos didn't get a first down or cross midfield until it was 15-0, and as soon as they did, the pick-six made it 22-0.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a part of it, but you play who you play. They do have the NFC West next year, which is a good thing. Including a trip to Seattle.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The AFC this year was as bad as it's been since the '90s.
    Not an environment that tests the mettle of champions.
    I agree with what was said on the other thread, that Bailey is the answer to salary relief.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

All of you are too smart and experienced to believe a point spread is anything more than a gambling tool to get equal money on both teams and not the actual handicapping of the game.

Although no one would have bet that the point differential was 35 points, Seattle did open as the betting favorites until money started rolling in on Denver. Seattle was the handicapping favorite not the Vegas line favorite. The only upset was the uncompetitive nature of the game, not the winner. The score was surprising but not shocking.

Draft saved Draft deleted