1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broke 90 ... again ... yesterday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The first summer I played, I was taking a practice swing with with my PW and was a little too close to the ball. It hit off the toe and drilled my buddy in the back about 30 yards in front of me. The next time I played that hole, I made my first birdie. Still no aces and no breaking 90. I suck. But I love the game.

I think golf and billiards are very similar — you stand over 99 out of 100 shots and think it's makable. Then the result proves it's not so simple.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You're probably right, H_G. Then again, I thought being 5-foot-9 was an advantage. :-\

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This was my fifth summer playing -- I was improving until hurting my back in 2004, which ended my season. Then in 2005, moving and the birth of my daughter effectively ended my golf season in mid-July. Hadn't broke 100 except on a really easy course -- my short game is awful and I still have way too many wasted shots. Around Labor Day, some buddies hold an annual tourney and I really wanted to win the big trophy. No mulligans and no gimmes. We all got strokes off of the best player (who was a 6) and I got 22. Had a crappy front nine (54) and figured that I didn't have a chance.

All of a sudden, on the back nine, everything began to click. I was on or near the green in regulation on every hole. Every single drive was dead straight and my irons were really working. I still couldn't hit a putt to save my life, but was playing bogey golf with three pars. I was in the last group and needed no worse than a 9 on the last hole (a par 5) to win. Everyone walked the last hole with me and was giving me crap. Hit the drive of my life (about 285, at least 40-50 yards longer than usual), leaving me only 175 to the green. Normally, I'd hit a 5 iron, but I don't hit the club really well, so I decided to to hit a 6 and putt/chip. Made great contact, but pulled it a little and I hit in in the bunker on the front left of the green. I am the world's worst bunker player and was just praying to get it out in no worse than two shots. Somehow, got out on my first shot and left myself 25 feet. Three putt for a 42 on the back (total of 96). Won the trophy and had my best round.

I really want to do a golf school this spring if I can find the time.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Congrats on staring down you're buddies. I can never do that.

Don't worry about golf school. Just find a local pro, take a couple of lessons, and get the pro to teach you a few easy drills to help you along.

Also, this book by Ben Hogan is very good for us beginners:

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Lessons-Modern-Fundamentals-Golf/dp/0671612972/sr=1-1/qid=1167586269/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9789948-3415025?ie=UTF8&s=books

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Um, I have nothing to add to this conversation except that I can't wait for spring for the putt-putt to open.
    Or Dr. J to leave so I can play Tiger.

Carry on.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've played since I was 18. I usually can stay in the low- to mid-90s without working too hard, although sometimes I have to play a slice off the tee.

One day in 1983, I caught lightning in a bottle. 78. If I could putt, it would have been even-par. But I was putting for bird on at least 12 holes. Only time I can remember the 140-170 approaches being target practice, rather than being happy that it held green.

My SE, who was in the foursome, still says it's the most amazing thing he's ever seen in sports. ;)

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh my God ... went out today and played and that Launcher driver is the tits. Jesus, I was swinging that club well. Even made three pars on a course I've never played before. Last time I had played, I didn't even sniff a par putt. Not bad for not playing for a month. :)

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm playing tomorrow in a charity event and I'm not feeling very good about it. Eight or nine years ago I was able to play quite a bit and I was on the verge of breaking 90 pretty regularly. Now I play in two or three events a year and always feel like I'm starting over. Anyway, it could get ugly tomorrow ... especially since we'll be playing from the goddam tips. I'd say I'll report back but I don't know that I want to put myself through the embarrasment. If I'm lucky it will some type of best ball format and I can just hope to make a few decent shots to help my foursome.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Congrats TBF.

Biggest key to breaking 90 consistently is keeping the ball in play; not big drives. That means when you slice the drive and hit a tree, leaving yourself over 250 left to the green, you do not go for the miracle 3 wood through the trees, you punch out and hit a wedge onto the green, take your two putts and move on. Work on your wedge and chips. Think nothing more than a bogey, get a par or two. Seems boring, but if you avoid penalty strokes and unsuccessful "hero" attempts, you can break 90 consistently.

I have an index of 11, tee'd it up Sunday, first time since early Nov., barely hit the ball, and duffed the first drive 50 yds on a 500 yd par 5 (sucks 'cause everyone else is out there at least 250). Hit a fairway wood, then another fairway wood, pitched on and hit the putt for a highly improbable 5. After a stinking 50 yd drive. Think straight, not long.

Draft saved Draft deleted