1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broderick, Broderick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The fact that you didn't include Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and only gave Dumb and Dumber a second-tier "probably" tells me we're at an impasse as it relates to Mr. Carrey's career. I agree The Cable Guy was underrated. I enjoy it. But Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are my favorite Jim Carrey roles.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As much as I laughed my ass off at Ace Ventura, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as Dumb and Dumber. When they were initially released, I thought they were close in terms of quality, but watching them today, Dumb and Dumber makes me laugh much harder than does Ace Ventura.

I still freakin' love Ace, but not as much as I used to.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic (happens a lot on here, I know), but the Jeff Daniels toilet scene is still one of the funniest moments in recent history. Rumor has it Daniels heard from Clint Eastwood, who even thought it was really funny.

I so wanted Roeman to answer the phone like Jeffrey Jones did... "Edddddd Rooney?"

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I prefer Dumb and Dumber. But I probably prefer Ace Ventura to Lloyd Christmas, if I had to pick.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The extra touch I like about that is it's a double dip. Well before the museum trip, still at home, he says, "I quote John Lennon: 'I don't believe in Beatles; I just believe in me.' Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, in the walrus sequence, Broderick is reprising Cameron Frye, who stared in gape-mouthed horror as he recognized himself in "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte."

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Racetrack clip is from a track somewhere in Europe (it's not Woodbine, there's an apron between stands and track), probably England, where some tracks do run counterclockwise. Nowhere in the U.S. is the main track a turf course. Looks like the 7 horse is carrying the silks of Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Farm.

Happy to provide this vital, riveting analysis.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Starman, would that make it a triple dip? I thought about it being a nod to Cameron, but I couldn't remember if Ferris mugged a bit in front of the impressionist works before Cameron got lost in that particular one.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Extra love for racing nerds.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Road to Wellville is quality work.

11. Balthier

Balthier Member

OK, really, the thread should have been locked after this post. Bravo, Della. Bra-fucking-oh.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Notice neither the "Star Wars Theme" or "Twist and Shout" appeared in the commercial (or "Danke Schoen," for that matter).

Would have been cool to have some kind of walk-through cameo by Alan Ruck or Mia Sara.

Or for that matter, maybe Charlie Sheen.

They certainly missed the boat by not having Richard Edson in some kind of role.

Me thinketh Jeffrey Jones will be left comfortably OUT of any and all Ferris Bueller quasi-semi-pseudo sequel productions.

Draft saved Draft deleted