1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broderick, Broderick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Seinfeld/Leno for Acura:

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I feel dirty. Jerry Seinfeld is better than being involved with Jay Leno.

Also, Matthew Broderick is terrific. Does anyone get less credit for great work? This guy was Ferris Bueller, adult Simba (The Lion King), Leo Bloom (The Producers), David Lightman (WarGames), Jim McAllister (Election) and Colonel Robert Gould Shaw (Glory).

And was The Cable Guy that bad? OK. I'm reaching.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seinfeld and Leno have been close friends for years. Decades, by now.

4. He was also Inspector Gadget.

I think that cancels out at LEAST half of those accomplishments, although he was cash as Leo Bloom

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

100 percent. I LOVE Matthew Broderick. His work in Election and The Cable Guy are sublime. He's Jack Lemmon without the accolades. Broderick will get his due as he gets older. He's seemingly been hurt by his boyish looks; at 50, he has a very youthful face. As he ages, I see more complex roles coming his way. The wise career choices will pay off in the end.

As for The Cable Guy, every single one of you needs to revisit that film again. It was way ahead of its time. Produced by Judd Apatow and directed by Ben Stiller ... gets a bad wrap because it was Jim Carrey's role earning $20 million, and many expected another Ace Ventura. It's dark, complex and well worth another viewing. Aside from Broderick and Carrey (who gives the best performance of his career. I'm not kidding), there are great supporting turns by Jack Black, Leslie Mann and George Segal. Also nice bit work by Stiller himself, Charles Napier, Bob Odenkirk, Andy Dick and Janeane Garofalo. The film is in my top 10, maybe even top 5 of all-time. I love it so.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wrong after Eternal Sunshine was made.

7. CentralIllinoisan

He's damn good in that, but love the layers of his Cable Guy more. That's a close second, followed by Truman Show and Man on the Moon, I Love You Phillip Morris and probably Dumb and Dumber. That man is so talented. Little nutty, but talented.

8. imjustagirl

I'm also partial to this:

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love 'Cable Guy.'
    I'm not getting crazy and saying top five or 10 all-time, but I do enjoy that movie.

10. CentralIllinoisan

He got shit over that, but I thought it was genius. It's like people didn't get the joke.

11. imjustagirl

The way he says "sex" then looks away? Genius.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The valet says "Broderick? ... Broderick?" just like Ben Stein said, "Anyone? Anyone?" And the museum scene when he's looking at the walrus is just like he's looking at the impressionist art, as has been mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted