1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broadway tickets help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Any good suggestions on a reputable way to get tickets to a Broadway show (My girlfriend wants to see Phantom in NYV) at less than face value? I know there are services, but I can seem to tell them apart on line and I don't want to get screwed.

Thanks in advance,

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm glad you started this thread. I was wondering the same thing for a trip to NYC sometime during the next year or so.

3. August West

August West Member

you're not guaranteed a ticket but if any are available below cost, this is where they'll be other than maybe on craigslist or some place like that.

TKTS ® Times Square Theatre Center
    is temporarily located just outside the New York Marriott Marquis hotel on West 46th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue (read about this)

Hours:

Mondays, Wednesdays,
    Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
    for 8pm perfs: 3pm - 8pm

Tuesday’s from 2pm - 8pm

Wednesdays and Saturdays
    for 2pm matinees: 10am - 2pm

Sundays for matinees:
    11am - 3pm
    Sundays for evening perfs:
    3pm TO CLOSING

TKTS ® Lower Manhattan Theatre Center at South Street Seaport ( the corner of Front and John Streets, the rear of the Resnick/Prudential Building at 199 Water Street )

Hours:
    TKTS SOUTH STREET WILL BE CLOSED
    THANKSGIVING DAY THU, NOV 23, 2006

Monday - Friday 11:00am to 6:00pm
    Wednesday matinee tickets are available on Tuesday ONLY

Saturday 11:00am to 6:00pm Saturday matinee tickets are available on Friday

Sunday matinee tickets will be sold on Saturday from 11am to 4pm. Please note that there are no tickets for Saturday matinee performances available on Saturday

Sunday: 11:00am to 3:00pm for Sunday Evening performances only

There are no full price tickets sold at any TKTS Booth.

Easily reachable by subway, you can take the J,M,Z, 2,3,4,5 to Fulton Street or the A,C to Broadway-Nassau. The M15 bus travels down Second Avenue to the Seaport.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Rachael Ray featured this on her $40 a day in NYC. She did say you had to get there early because of lines and that you can't be picky on what time you want to see a show or really what show you want to see.

5. TKTS really is a good deal, especially for the plays that aren't the mega-musicals. I caught "The Lieutenant of Inishmore" and "Faith Healer" out of TKTS on one road trip.
    Also, talk the GF out of "Phantom," for the love of god.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

To avoid the long lines, go to the TKTS at the Seaport. And Fen's right, start making your best arguments against Phantom as soon as you can.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Go to www.playbill.com and join the Playbill Club. They said out frequent discount offers.
    And the TKTS real early thing is a thing of the past because of computerized updating. Waltz up to the booth about 20 minutes before curtain and pick your show when the lines are gone.
    Selection varies. This week is tourist hell and hardly anything is there. Sometimes you can see whatever you want.
    My wife wanted to see Phantom. On a previous trip, it never showed up at TKTS. So I sucked it up and paid full price. We left the theater and walked past TKTS to get some lunch (and laughed at those in line for the evening shows). Phantom was up there.
    Playbill also lists Broadway grosses weekly and you can see how a show is drawing and get an idea. Last time I looked, Phantom was doing about 70 percent capacity so you may be able to get seats at TKTS.

You won't get Jersey Boys or any of the hot draws but you can get some excellent shows at great prices. Don't be afraid of the term "off broadway" either - great shows in smaller theaters. Last two off broadway shows I saw were excellent.

8. I saw the Brent Spiner-Michael Cumpsty "1776" and the Natasha Richardson-Alan Cummings "Cabaret" at the Roundabout which is sort of On/off-Broadway. (Small house, on the east side of the square.)
    TKTS, on both of them, by the way.

9. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Thanks. No talking her out of Phantom.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Then go and enjoy it. I went to please my wife and had a fine time. I've seen many better shows but, hell, it's Phantom.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Phantom's not a bad show. I've seen it probably five or six times. If she hasn't seen it, you owe it to her. It may not have Sarah Brightman nor Michael Crawford, but it's still a good show.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Phantom's a great woman's show. Your chances of scoring at TKTS are excellent. And if it's not up there, go to the box office. Don't believe they're selling out with any regularity, at this point.
    Most everyone who's wanted to see it . . . has seen it.

Draft saved Draft deleted