1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broadcasting My Voice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

We've had this ongoing debate for quite some time now, and I'm curious as to what the board feels about this.

We have a competing Web site that makes their own podcasts (dubbed the "radio hour") and a terrible, amateur television show they also broadcast on their site. Both consist of recorded interviews passed off as "exclusives," as in: "Check out our exclusive coverage from inside the locker room" and blah blah blah.

Anyway, I'm getting more and more tired of them putting a recorder in my face for use on these shows or video taping an interview I conduct without ever interjecting a question of their own.

Do I have any right to do anything about them using my voice in this situation? I know anything said in a locker room or press conference or similar function is not an "exclusive," but if they put a recorder in my face to record my question to then broadcast on their "radio hour," I have the right to tell them to get their recorder out of my fucking face, right?

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Interesting question. I would think not, though. You're a member of the media (a sort of "high-profile" gig) in a public forum.

I know some pretty big writers who are annoyed when their questions are on ESPN News.

Maybe you could ask your questions later, privately.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Drop a few F-bombs in your questions.

Seriously, next time it happens just don't ask a question. Make the Recorder Boy ask one, and when he does not then ask if he's going to ask anything. If he doesn't, just stand there until he leaves or tell him you need to ask the player something privately.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The SIDs on my beat do this, and it infuriates me to no end. They'll stick a tape recorder into a feature interview I'm doing, then run a transcript verbatim on their web site. Kinda steals my thunder, ya know?

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

work away from packs if you can (i understand sometimes they're tough to avoid, especially postgame, but still, there are opportunities.)

also, wait sometimes for them to ask the first question.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

I've only run into this once before. It's the one place my profanity -- a bad habit I am forever trying to clean up -- came in handy.

And Guy -- I'd explain to the SIDs that they're stealing your thunder. I think they'd understand.

I like to think they'd understand, anyway.

7. yes yes yes yes yes

but if it is a deadline situation and some giggling TV dickrod is sticking a mike flag in your face and you don't have time to tell him to go to hell, do what I do -- halfway through any usable quotes, just cough like hell

right in the mike

you get the quote

they can't use it

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Oh, no. Not these guys. It's a mess.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ID yourself by name and paper in every question:

"Can you tell my Daily Bugle readers about..."

And, yeah, throw a few of the seven magic words in there, too. ;D

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Holy hell. That is inspired. I'm gonna start using that. :)

11. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Ace suggestions all around. I'm prepared for football season now. Thanks all.

Draft saved Draft deleted