1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broadcast (radio, TV, or podcast) sports talk shows that you actually like

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 12, 2017.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Musberger is on a couple hours in the afternoon in the SouthPoint. He's happy to be talking numbers and his stories are freaking incredible.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And now he's got that weekend morning show for football season, which is also excellent.

I don't know how much longer I can listen to VSIN before I start walking the streets with a sandwich board that says "NEED BOOKIE."

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Is a podcast a podcast if it's live?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has Tony Bruno officially run out of sports networks to talk on?

I like the Patrick show. Guests who are typically newsworthy and have something to say, an atmosphere that doesn't pretend that our lives depend on sports and a strong aversion of hot takery and contrarian-itis for the sake of generating phone calls.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Im glad Musberger is happy. The way his national career ended was terrible.

I'm getting into Barstool. Those guys are really funny. My wife listens to Lore. I get a kick out of it.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Technically he quit from WIP rather than be let go but, yeah, he's been his own worst enemy in contract talks.

We could do a whole thread on radio-TV people we miss on the air. Really enjoyed Bruno and Siciliano on Fox Sports Radio and well as Kiley and Booms. Actually, the original FSR lineup that launched in 2000 was pretty damn entertaining before everything became Hot Take Theater.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Steve Czaban is always good. He lost his national show but still has the local one in DC with his regular crew that you can find via podcast. Gets a little too local at times, but that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I enjoy David Glenn's regional show. That's about the only program I can listen to on a consistent basis.

I like Bomani Jones in small doses, but liked him a lot more when he was local. Seems like since he's gone national he feels the need to push the envelope a bit too much.

I liked Taylor Zarzour a lot when he was local, but I don't subscribe to Sirius so haven't heard him in a few years.

The local talkers are terrible and the national shows we get on their sister station don't do much for me (Mike & Mike, Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd). I don't go out of my way to find shows that aren't on in my area.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

DP is a must listen for me. I still like PTI. Will need to check out the Hamburger on VSIN.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A lot of Sunday nights this summer, I found myself stuck in the car and not particularly interested in the baseball game. One of the local stations would replay The Morning Roast from ESPN. It could be hit or miss (I'm lukewarm on the NBA, and they marked out on free agency talk), but in general I thought they had some funny, insightful moments and good chemistry together. Be interesting to see what the hosts do after going their separate ways.

The Morning Roast: 8/27/17 All good things must come to an end

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Afternoon drive (3-7 p.m. Pacific) on TSN 1040 from Vancouver, B.C., featuring Matt Sekeres (former print guy) and Blake Price. They have knowledgeable guests and draw valuable information out of them. Topics occasionally veer from sports (eating pizza with a fork and knife, for example), but overall the discourse is intelligent. Not homers at all, but they recognize that the natives are in a better mood when the Canucks don't suck.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Vancouver has some of the worst sports radio I have ever heard, these two aren't bad but they are competing in the NAIA.

Draft saved Draft deleted