1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broadcast "clips"/resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsonace, Jan 4, 2011.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Following up on the sports broadcasting thread ... as I've noted, I do broadcasting on the side as a hobby/small business that actually does make a little bit of cash.

However, if I were to consider looking for for-hire freelance/independent contractor/small college gigs or selling myself to a local radio station ... what kind of stuff should I put on my "resume tape" that would make it pop?

It's been years since I've made one -- well over a decade (when we still made them on cassette) ... I've done tons of print clips packages in the meantime. Broadcasters, help me out ... what kind of clips? How should I package it? Do it as an MP3 that's downloadable and/or fits on a CD?

Should I put 10 or so minutes of quick 25-40 second clips of good, tight calls, packaged with a short pre-produced intro identifying myself, or should I put some longer-form stuff (for example, a full quarter of both a football and basketball game)? Should I limit it to play-by-play, or should I add in pregame/coach interviews/studio work?

Just asking, and knowing there are a few broadcasters out there, hopefully a couple of you can toss me some advice. PM me or post it here :).

Thanks.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Have anything like this?:

My friend and former co-worker Cole Weinman on the call from Las Vegas doing the 2008 MWC Women's Basketball Championship. It's a call that's always played as an intro to the sports talk show. a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad (yes, that bad) Colorado State team with an epic upset.

3. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Coming from the perspective of someone who has hired play-by-play announcers, I prefer to have an uninterrupted clip from a game. Something like 5-10 minutes of game action. Could be, for example, TV timeout to TV timeout (if we're looking at college/professional sports). Realistically, I know in the first minute if you're what I'm looking for.

On top of that, studio work (scoreboard updates), parts of a pre-game show, or an interview/feature are good to have as well.

Highlight reels tell me nothing about the broadcaster. Anyone can have a good highlight reel. Never hurts to make one, but don't make it the bread and butter of your tape.

In all, 2-3 clips should suffice.

Draft saved Draft deleted