1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Britney story in Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 14, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If Taibbi wants to be taken as seriously as Grieder, O'Rourke or even Hunter Thompson, he needs to quit calling the Senate Majority leader a pussy. Even Thompson had more tact.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Do you really believe this?

Here is HST's obit of Richard Nixon.

http://www.counterpunch.org/thompson02212005.html

And for those with a short attention span or below-average reading skills, here is one of its most often quoted paragraphs...

Not to defend Taibbi, but it certainly isn't a lack of tact that separates him from Dr. Gonzo.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

writing for a 20-year-old means writing stupid.

i can see how you enjoy it.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

T_P, I would take offense to that, but I consider the source.

Well said...

Old bastard...

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Why was Nison's funeral illegal?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think you should read the whole piece, markvid. HST explains his reasons.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, there is the issue of Nixon being dead. And the lines are funny.
    Taibbi just calls Reid a pussy. That's sixth-grade recess stuff and I would think, beneath the Rolling Stone.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I will do that. I am at work now, didn't have the time before to do so.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid, damn solid ... but still, bite me.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

To me, great writing is great in its own merits. It doesn't know audience. It doesn't know demographic. It doesn't know genre. It just stands out without having to preen. Great writing is -- or should be -- appreciated by anyone of any age.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's not start comparing this to "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold"

One was a very good magazine article, one is one of the best celebrity articles ever written...

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It was an interesting read, but I don't know that I'd call it prescient. He doesn't predict that she'll abuse her kids or end up in confined therapy.

It's funny that he was cock-blocked in a way -- wanted to see her "secret garden" -- and now everyone in the world has

Draft saved Draft deleted