1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Britney story in Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 14, 2008.

1. I'm by no means a celebrity news reader or watcher. I mostly avoid the stuff like the plague, and I'm embarrassed about how much attention it gets.

That being said, as the definitive journalistic inquiry into a quintessentially American rags-to-riches-to-rags story, Vanessa Grigoriadis' piece is fantastic and worth the time invested.

Here's an excerpt:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/18310562/the_tragedy_of_britney_spears

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"I don't know who you think I am, bitch."

Nice.

I've paid Rolling Stone twice for a subscription and have yet to see a magazine.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That story was one of the best reads I've picked up in a while. So good, I was reading excerpts of it to Mr. Cougar.

For Vanessa Grigoriadis, this is par for the course - she wrote two memorable Rolling Stone pieces, one on Scientology (which elicited a published letter to the editor from Kirstie Alley) and another on the campus culture at Duke in light of the rape allegations against the lacrosse players.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Duke story was great. This one looks entertaining.
    Sounds like Brit is one declined credit card charge from throwing herself in front of a bus.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This one is great... What made me laugh the most is the number of times you see (Spears denies this) among the copy...

There is juicy stuff in there... It's a really good read...

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I had read the excerpt previously. A nice step up from the US Weekly style of reporting.

7. bob

bob Member

Can't believe I wasted my time reading that crap. Loved it!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For a long story, it was a very quick read...

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

The best line of the story is when she refers to Spears as an inbred swamp thing

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

No, the best line was:

"Federline gave Britney license to fully embrace her white-trash side."

(oh, of note - Vanessa Grigoriadis recently wrote a piece on "To Catch a Predator." Janet Reitman wrote the Duke story.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10464110/sex__scandal_at_duke/3

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Sorry to threadjack, but what do you think of their practice of offering an excerpt online of the current cover story, not the whole thing? Would newspapers be doing better if we'd adopted that practice from the get-go, or does it only lend itself to extremely long, complex stories?

12. That's what I think, yes. Pretty much limited to narratives.

Draft saved Draft deleted