1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British Archbishop: Britain should adopt parts of Sharia law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Do you know anything about them? They have no jurisdiction over criminal law, and don't claim to. Most Jewish courts work by both parties agreeing to binding arbitration, with the sole means of "forcing" compliance, social pressure.

2. Which, I suspect clumsily, is what the archbishop was getting at here. Of course, his comments were then twisted out o all context and run through the muslim-bashing blogosphere's Feartron 105 translation device.
    A "constructive relationship between Islamic law and the statutory law" seems to me to be precisely what the rabbinical courts and the secular courts have here.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I actually heard the archbishop on BBC the other day. This might be one of the worst cases of something being taken out of context of all time.

As I understand it, Sharia law isn't about chopping off limbs and stoning adulterers anyway. The archbishop made it clear in the interview I heard that he didn't advocate the radical version of Sharia used in the Arabian peninsula.

But as Fen mentioned, that won't wash with the "muslim bashing blogosphere."

Tempest in a teapot.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We've been through this already up here with Sharia.

And the First Nations of Canada have a community based justice program which exists in conjunction with, not in place of the established Canadian justice system. It's not like there's no precedent for this.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If so, then it's no different than certain professional fields that do the same thing. I'm not as confident that it is what he meant, but you could be right.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And if someone had substituted the words "a constructive relationship between Southern Baptist theology and the statutory law," you would be going ballistic yourself.

7. Southern Baptist theology and the secular law already have a constructive relationship, foof. The law is not telling the Baptists how to adjudicate their theological disputes, and the Baptists are disestablished just the way all religions should be.
    Apple, meet andiron.

Draft saved Draft deleted