1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Britcoms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Dec 10, 2006.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Had to do Christmas with mom and brother early this year because they're heading Down Under to visit sis and her family for three weeks.

Li'l Bro shelled out a few bucks (more than I'm worth) on the 18-disc box set of the BBC comedy Red Dwarf (an entire season is only six or eight episodes, but there's a load of extras). Gifts the past couple of years have been complete DVD sets of Fawlty Towers and Black Adder.

I got hooked on watching these shows when I lived close enough to Dallas to get KERA, the PBS channel, which has aired British programs on weekend nights for nearly three decades. Not having BBC America on the local cable system and having never sprung for a satellite dish, DVDs are about the only way I have of watching these shows anymore.

It's kind of odd how many American shows were based on British series, All in the Family and Sanford and Son being among them.

There are a few other British series I'd like to get, like As Time Goes By and Goodnight Sweetheart. Any other recommendations, or should I just wait for American versions?

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Office... obviously.

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I'll second that, and Mr. Bean.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Fawlty Towers and the original BBC series of The Office are the funniest shows I've ever seen, by a pretty wide margin.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Am I the only one who just loved The Vicar of Dibley? Such a funny show.

Of course, there aren't any American shows being made out of it. But funny just the same.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The Vicar is funny, also "Are You Being Served" and the "Last of the Summer Wine." If you want to see a bunch of old geezers do childish things, that show is the one to watch.

And of course, don't forget Benny Hill.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The American version bit ass, but wasn't the British version of Coupling pretty good?

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Little Britain.

Hilarious, as is Footballers' Wives.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Absolutely Fabulous is a must.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The British version of "Coupling" is excellent, especially the first three seasons. The key to it was they got good comedy actors, unlike the American version, which was terrible.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Do Shut Up

12. ARD

ARD Member

Jeeves and Wooster
    A Bit of Fry and Laurie
    The Goon Show

Draft saved Draft deleted