1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

britain damn sure does have talent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Mar 27, 2012.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

oh. my. god.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is the entire point of that show to get the audience and judges to have a negative first impression and then be blown away by the act's talent?

It happened with the dude with bad teeth who sang Nessun Dorma and that woman and now this duo.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Don't forget Susan Boyle.

It could be that Britain just has a lot of supremely talented ugly people :p

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Wait, I thought all Brits had bad teeth?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I forgot about the guy with the bad teeth... but this guy was far better...

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The producers have pretty clearly mastered the set-up at this point. I don't mean that negatively, particularly -- they're incredibly good at it. But it's manipulative as hell. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Simon Cowell knows what's coming when they step up, but he makes the snarky, dismissive comment to really set it up. The 17 year old who looks like Tiny Tim is wearing sweat pants and a Hendrix shirt, for God's sake -- I would bet very heavily he was encouraged to dress like a bozo (next to his well-dressed, pretty sister) to maximize the effect. And the editing really milks the audience reaction and builds tension when Simon disses the sister.

It absolutely works. The moment when they start singing is great. But jeez, it's the exact scene from the Susan Boyle episode, just with a different person playing the part.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

helluva lot better than susan boyle

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wawawa...wait. Reality TV is SCRIPTED?!

*faints*

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's the thing: As someone who has taken a long time to get comfortable with my size, and I'm not nearly as big as he is ... I get him dressing like that. You want to wear loose, baggy clothing and try to not be noticed.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Cowell knows what is coming. If you watch his reaction, he's dismissed them before they even start singing and when he discovers how great they are, his change of expression is kind of endearing, because on some level, he is pleased to be wrong.

11. dmc

dmc Guest

When Boyle was the topic, I could never understand why people seemed to be shocked that she could sing. I just did not get the whole spectacle of being surprised that a homely person could sing.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind that?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The United States does not allow ugly singers. Check the pop charts.

Draft saved Draft deleted