1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bristol Herald Courier

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 27, 2007.

1. An area that has it all needs a journalist who can do it all. The Bristol Herald Courier, an award-winning, 41,000-circulation daily on the Tennessee-Virginia line, seeks a versatile sports journalist to help design, edit and write one of the top mid-sized sports sections in Virginia. The successful candidate will edit and design the sports section four to five nights a week and provide some game coverage for local high school and college sports in a fast-paced environment filled with compelling sports stories and convergence opportunities with the Internet and television. Candidates with three or more years of journalism experience are preferred, but all outstanding applicants will be considered. Design experience is a must, as is knowledge of sports and AP style and the ability to thrive under deadline pressure. In addition to covering the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech football and basketball, we cover more than 40 high schools in two states, not to mention NASCAR’s most popular track, Bristol Motor Speedway. We have the content, but we need you to provide the presentation to do it justice. Send resume, cover letter, and design and writing samples to Sports Editor Sam Jackson at sjackson@bristolnews.com or write to P.O. Box 609, Bristol, Va., 24203.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: The Bristol Herald-Courier

To replace Rob, I guess, who just took the job in Lincoln, Neb.
    The Moddy Seal (boots will follow I'm sure). Good town, good paper, good people.

3. It's weird that the job got posted this fast; they were still finalizing the language five minutes before this thread was started.

Yes, this job is to replace me. And to echo what Moddy said, it's a good area, good paper and good staff. Sam Jackson is an excellent boss and he gives you the leeway to try new things.

Anyway, while the job says some writing will be involved, please DO NOT apply if you have little or no interest in design. Sam wants a designer. He needs a designer to help him pick up the slack. If you work hard here and do good work, you will move up. This paper has placed sports staffers in Tampa, Roanoke, Lincoln (Neb.) and at Maxim Magazine. They use InDesign on PCs, and the computers are all new. Any other questions, please PM me.

Also, the ad may not mention no calls, but please do Sam a favor and try not to call. And before anyone asks, Sam's middle initial is not L. :D

4. Moderator1

Plus, Michael Connolly worked there. Between books.
    You have to have a famous name to have a shot.
    The boss is Samuel Jackson.
    Michael Connolly used to work there.
    Bucky Dent does now.

So all you regular schmoes just toss that shit away.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat bitches in no time! [/chappelle]

6. Moderator1

In fact, Rob tried to claim he was related to Jim Backus and therefore qualified under the famous name rule. Even doing his best Mr. Magoo, he could not survive when they learned the truth.

7. I also name-dropped Jeff Backus. It almost cost me the job when I realized the former SE was a Lions fan. ;D

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What would the ratio of writing to designing be?

9. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I've got some info on what you can do with this job with a little extra work if you want to PM me -- plus for tips on how to find illegal, unheated apartments for pennies!

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

It's MY newspaper! It'll getcha noticed! Mmmmm, bitch!

11. Well it says: "edit and design the sports section four to five nights." So you're basically the designer.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bristol is a good place to be.

There's no way you'll get the August race night off, but if you ever somehow score tickets to go there for that spectacle of partying, I hear you won't be disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted