1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bristol editor gives one-fingered salute to Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Keystone, Apr 27, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought if he was some awesome journalist who went on to greatness after the Washington Post told him he already was all that he could be, I wouldn't have to read his bio.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The guy is the editor of a small paper that won the Pulitzer. He should be proud. Why begrudge him that? Have you heard of the reporter before, now a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter? I'm guessing you didn't. Does he not rate in your book as an "awesome journalist" because you didn't immediately recognize his name?

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As someone who has always worked for "little papers that could" AND who is 38, I liked the column.

There IS good reporting happening in the hinterlands, if you're willing to look among the local-kid-makes-good features and columns after columns of obits and police blotter. I think that was the overall point, more than a one-fingered salute.

Congrats to the Bristol Herald Courier and its staff!

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not everyone loves J. Todd Foster, but I do.

I'd work for him any day, and he knows it.

I also believe he'd be happy to have me work for him. That means a lot.

He's rightfully proud of his reporter's and paper's accomplishment, and the column makes some good points.

I have to say that I could have done without that last visual/paragraph, however, despite the point that it makes... :)

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I liked it.

If he writes that column without that lede, maybe he hears from readers (or some on this board) who say, 'you bashed the Post because you're jealous and wished you worked there.'

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Loved it. But didn't the reporter, Gilbert, go to University of Chicago? That defeats part of his "we didn't go to Princeton" anti-elitism argument. Then again, U of C doesn't churn out many journalists.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like he bashed the post because he's spiteful and wished he worked there.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think you may be projecting.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If he wished he worked at the Washington Post, either way back when or now, that would make him different from most of the rest of us...how?

It's not jealousy. It's almost everyone in this business's goal, ideally, to work at a place like that. Isn't it?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not spiteful, I'm hopeful. That could change tomorrow, though.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Instead of writing that column, he could have just put this in the paper:

[​IMG]

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As someone who used to work in the hinterlands of journalism, albeit under the shadow of The Washington Post itself, I enjoyed the point he was making. Some of his points could have been better left unmade, however.

The gist of his point, that you don't have to work at The New York Times, The Washington Post or The Wall Street Journal to do great journalism is one I've searched for a long time to find illustration for. Now I have it.

Draft saved Draft deleted