1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bristol editor gives one-fingered salute to Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Keystone, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Keystone

Keystone Member

Considering my resume has ended up in the WaPo shredder a few times over the years, I found this a little funny.

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/opinion/columnists/article/j._todd_foster_column_this_is_the_little_paper_that_could_..._and_did/45097/

2. Outstanding. Enjoyed it very much.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think that column makes a lot of us around here proud and fills us with a little bit of much-needed hope for the future. Especially the 38-year-olds among us.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought it came across as a little whiny.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Childish. Dude held a grudge against the Post because he was passed over for a job a long time ago and projected his feeling of inferiority into the Post's story (Shapira's implied premise...) about a Pulitzer Prize.

You want to write for the Post? Please construct better sentences than this one:

It’s also afflicted with the same drive-by journalism that we all can be victims of if we allow ourselves, because of the current unfortunate economics of newspapering and just plain shallowness, to fall into that trap.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not to mention a little unprofessional.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think it walked the "How do you like me now" line, but ultimately didn't cross it. Foster used a personal anecdote pretty effectively to make a great point -- that you can do great journalism outside the ivory towers of New York and Washington. Given the state of the industry in recent years, I think that's something we need to remember.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is probably why the Cleveland Plain Dealer almost never does profiles of smaller newspapers.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who is J Foster whoever?

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The answer's in the byline. Couldn't get that far?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. If I ripped everyone in print who gave me a 10-hour interview and didn't hire me, I'd have to farm out the work to freelancers.

Draft saved Draft deleted