1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bristol designer wanted... from jjobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by budcrew08, Jul 4, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Hopefully this isn't a d_b.

Company: The Bristol Herald Courier
    Position: Seeking sports design guru
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: August 7, 2007
    Job ID: 771455

Description:
    An area that has it all needs a journalist who can do it all. The Bristol Herald Courier, an award-winning, 41,000-circulation daily on the Tennessee-Virginia line, seeks a versatile sports journalist to help design, edit and write one of the top mid-sized sports sections in Virginia. The successful candidate will edit and design the sports section four to five nights a week and provide some game coverage for local high school and college sports in a fast-paced environment filled with compelling sports stories and convergence opportunities with the Internet and television. Candidates with some experience are preferred, but all outstanding applicants will be considered. Design experience is a must, as is knowledge of sports and AP style and the ability to thrive under deadline pressure. In addition to covering the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech football and basketball, we cover more than 40 high schools in two states, not to mention NASCAR’s most popular track, Bristol Motor Speedway. We have the content, but we need you to provide the presentation to do it justice. Send resume, cover letter, and design and writing samples to Sports Editor Sam Jackson at sjackson@bristolnews.com or write to P.O. Box 609, Bristol, Va., 24203.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good people, good place. The five-star Moddy Seal.

3. As I posted on the original thread in mid-May, this is to replace me. It's a good job, and the pay isn't terrible. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I would be interested in a job like this, but it would require a move 10 hours south and I have a (soon-to-be) fiance to also worry about. Getting to cover major college football and NASCAR would be awesome, and I would also guess that even the prep sports have to be pretty top notch.

5. Moderator1

Except you'd be a designer. The paper covers those things.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Family member moved to the area recently. Says the people are quite nice, although the job market isn't.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Fixed. Thanks, Moddy.

8. Moderator1

You can choose which state to live in, which is a bonus. I'm never quite sure where one ends and the other begins.

And you are welcome Mr. Crew. I'm here to serve.
    Apply. Maybe Mrs. Crew08 (you going to change your number next year?) will like it there.

I'm serious in my Seal. But if you aren't named after someone famous, you can't work there. Michael Connolly used to be on staff there before become photo editor at Maxim. Samuel Jackson is the editor, Bucky Dent is on staff. Jim Backus' grand nephew used to be there. Joe Schmoe ain't got a chance.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have the same last name as a former (I guess he'd be former right about now) movie star, with only one letter differentiating the spelling. What's the area like?

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Moddy, I appreciate the respect, but anybody saying Mr. is talking to my father. :D

The future Mrs. Crew lived in Va. before (military family), but she was in Va. Beach, so it's the other end of the state.
    And Bucky Dent is on staff??? Take a look at the sig, my dear Moddy. That COULD be an issue. :-X ::) ;)

11. Moderator1

Your father is probably younger than I am.
    You are closer to Bristol now than she was then.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

My dad just turned 69 last month, so I doubt it. :)
    I guess I didn't realize how big Virginia really is. I'm a few hours farther away, but not by all that much.. 5 hours or so.
    I thought NYS was a large state from side to side.

Draft saved Draft deleted