1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bringing home a new pup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dark_Knight, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

See. You should leave Food Network on for them.
    Nothing but upbeat human voices.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

I had talked with the breeder about that and she was adamant that the puppies were going. She said that if I didn't adopt him that she had others lined up who would, and since that was the case, I figured I would take him anyway because I at least know he'll be going to a good home.

I picked him up this afternoon and he's full of energy. The entire car ride he was up moving around, searching, exploring every hole he could find. In hindsight, I probably should have taken someone with me to get him so they could keep an eye on him, but we made it back safely. He crashed immediately when we walked in the door and took a solid two-hour nap. I debated waking him up so he would sleep tonight, but I took the chance to make dinner and get a few things knocked out for the work week. He woke up and was a ball of energy again, and followed me everywhere I went. If he couldn't see me, he immediately started to whimper or let out an ear-piercing cry. I'm trying to work with him to cut that shit out now. Any thoughts on how to get him to stop?

I designated an area in my apartment for him –– a small space, 2'x4' maybe? –– until I get him a kennel later this week. I figured it would be a good start to get an idea of how he will be when I'm at work. At first, and even now, he didn't like being in there. Up until five minutes ago he was constantly whimpering, trying to push the gate down and doing his damned cry. I feel bad for the guy, and I want him out here, but he's gonna have to learn one way or another, and I'd like to be here so I can start to train him that there's going to be no part of that cry in the apartment. Slowly he's getting the hint. He finally laid down and is sleeping as I type this.

Ah, the joy of silence.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I have read that you should put a hot water bottle and/or a ticking clock wrapped in a towel with the puppy to simulate the heat and heartbeat of his mom. I don't know anybody with a water bottle or a ticking clock but that's what I have read. Problem with a heating pad is the cord. Does he have a soft toy to curl up with?

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

That breeder should be put out of business, it's criminal what she's doing.

Two more weeks would make such a tremendous influence in a puppy's growth. Behaviorists will tell you one of the fun things you have to look forward to is coprophagia, the eating of its own feces, because the pup didn't stay long enough with its mom or litter. (This also happens because poop to them tastes good, but a puppy learns from watching its mom and siblings not to do it.)

To make it feel more secure in the small space you have set up, make sure he has his own cave-like place -- ideally in a crate with comfy blankets where he can turn around but not much more. The wee wee pads should be set up outside the crate, with gates around that space so when he's not being watched he can only go into his safe "cave" or on the wee wee pads, with a small place for water and food.

Please please please promise you will not leave him alone for more than an hour for the next couple of weeks, because this is such an important time in his development and he's being deprived of what he really needs. (I'm so angry at that breeder right now!)

A good trainer will help you get over the risks you're going to face from such an early adoption:
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/25/the-risks-of-adopting-a-puppy-too-young/

6. gingerbread

Also this ^^^

7. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

He has plenty of toys in there. I've caught him a few times already playing with his squeaky toy and trying to get it to squeak. He just hasn't quite figured it out.

He turns 7 weeks on Wednesday, so he definitely falls in that 30-40 day period the article stated, gb. Geesh. Poor guy. Other than having him back with his mom and me not leaving his side, is there anything else that can be done to hopefully prevent that? What about socializing him with older dogs? I know a few people around my apartment complex have dogs, and at the park there are always dogs being walked. (Turski, I'll be sure to keep him away from any puppies at the park.)

And, gb, the breeder was an idiot. The only thing she did right with Abbott (that's the pup's official name now) was take him in for his first round of shots. I was talking to her when I picked him up and I asked what kind of dog food he'd been eating because I wanted to pick up the same food. She said he hadn't been on a specific food, and she was feeding all 10 of the pups whatever food she had readily available at the house. She said that's what the vet told her to do, because eating a lot of different types of food means he's getting the most nutrition possible. I was stunned. By that point I just grabbed Abbott and got the hell out of there. And, I will say, that was a hell of a mess to clean up this afternoon.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is that what people call it?
    Chris calls it snack time.

9. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Oh, right, you mentioned a trainer would help. Scratch that question from my other post. I'll start looking for a trainer tomorrow.

Also, since he runs the risk of fearing abandonment, should I be leaving him in his place all the time? I was doing it to train him, at least until I get his kennel, so that he can learn to feel safe there and know it's his space. But with him running that risk, for these first couple weeks, at least, should I have him next to me all the time when I'm home?

10. gingerbread

It looks like you pulled him from an awful situation, so I am glad you have him. The Humane Society holds lots of training classes, some even for free depending where you are. A vet will put you on a monthly shot schedule -- and as noted your pup should not be around other puppies until he's had all his relevant shots. I fostered a puppy that wasn't allowed to even leave my apartment, ever, because she hadn't all her shots, meaning all the playing/pooping/peeing/screeching had to take place in one space, and I'm not sure who had it worse, me or her. (Me!!!)

A vet should also tell you the proper puppy food. Like IJag mentioned, make sure it starts with a protein and not corn or gluten, as that will help with the messes you're going to be cleaning up.

11. gingerbread

I added this above, but just in case it didn't go through:

And: you can find on Youtube the Dog Whisperer's "How to raise the perfect puppy." It's worth watching.

And: while your dog isn't a Shiba Inu puppy, this is informative:
    http://shibashake.com/dog/afraid-of-your-dog

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We have a beagle, and she is the sweetest dog in the world. She is an absolute sweat heart with our daughter.

But...

Beagles are hunters and bird dogs by nature. They need to run. We have a fenced in back yard, and it is a God send with this dog. She needs to sniff and patrol. I would get this dog outside for at least an hour each day. I hate to be blunt, but a beagle is a tough road for a single person living in an apartment.

Draft saved Draft deleted