1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bringing happiness back to Happy Valley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_24450685/was-jerry-sandusky-framed-letter

From about two weeks ago.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

First of all, that guy's opinion is that Sandusky may've been framed, which is entirely different than the "not so bad" claim you asserted. He believes that Sandusky may not have actually done it, NOT that the doing it "isn't really that bad." I've never heard anybody from Penn St. , nor anybody anywhere else other than Mark on this board, voice the latter opinion. And you've still provided no evidence indicating otherwise.

Second, that is the opinion of one lone nut, and only one lone nut, not "a huge percentage of the PSU fanbase", as you claimed.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Almost the entire administration and student body immediately went into rationalization mode in order to save the football program. "It wasn't an institutional failure," "Joe Pa couldn't have known," etc.

The first, and visceral, reaction to the news that Sandusky had abused dozens of kids was, "must save the football team." Not a single thought was given to the real victims, once they had a farce of a candlelight vigil.

Anyone who thinks child abuse is a huge deal and is THAT bad doesn't react the way Penn State did and still does.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have friends who still rant weekly on Facebook about the outrage of the penalties, and how terrible it is to hold a football program responsible for the actions of its coaches inside the facility.

I don't get it at all. I mean, I love rooting for my alma mater, and my school has been a hell of a lot more successful than Penn State in recent years. If I found out something like this was going on involving the coaching staff at my school, I'd absolutely want them to blow up the whole athletic department. Eliminate athletics if they have to. Losing scholarships would be the last of my concerns.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds good in theory, but it's simply not human nature.

Theory says "Starman justice!" for the guilty party. But even Starman would hire the best legal counsel he could find if it was HIS son who had committed vile acts, while demanding Starman justice for all others, of course.

It's inconsistent, it's hypocritical, and it sucks. Such is the burden of being human. Rationalization is the best weapon the mind has sometimes. It can turn the world upside down if necessary to prevent it from dealing with horrible truths. And NOBODY is above it.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I realize that may be the case for some, but it sure as hell isn't the case for me, and I'd like to think most fans are closer to my side than the other.

It's not my son; it's the football program at the school where I graduated. I've watched at least part of every game for probably at least 5 years... but if there was something like this, I'd walk away without much thought.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My cousin - a Penn State graduate - has gone off the fucking deep end with this shit. Any article published that mildly criticizes Freeh, the NCAA or mentions Penn State suing someone is posted with a "Now we're fighting back!!!" comment. It's almost like their entire self-worth is tied to that football team remaining pristine.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I had a business trip to Penn State earlier this year. First time I had ever been there.

I had the preconceived notions of the place would be obsessed with football and covering up the scandal. I wanted to hate the place.

I met so many people who seemed incredibly remorseful (and even sorry) that this happened in a town and a campus they, clearly, love.

Yet every time I read about the Penn State alums, students, etc who are "fighting back" or say that the NCAA or prosecutors have it in for Penn State, I revert to my preconceived notions.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What you experienced at Penn State could have only been experienced by being there.

A photo of two fans wearing "We Are . . . Pissed Off" T-Shirts can shoot all over social media in a couple of hours.

There's no way the good can win a PR battle with the bad in a world like this.

10. MisterCreosote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That happened THREE DAYS after Sandusky was arrested and charged. The people there certainly sounded empathetic and in no way tone-deaf:

http://uwire.com/2011/11/10/penn-state-students-riot-in-response-to-firing-of-joe-paterno/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My apologies.

12. MisterCreosote

One more thing:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-apparel-sends-a-message,1109564/

It was nice of him, though, to make token mention of being pissed off about child abuse before he listed the many grievances related to the beloved football team.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted