1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bring back Earl

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writestuff1, Jan 13, 2010.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

With NBC getting rid of Jay Leno in primetime, the network should consider bringing back "My Name is Earl." I know it's unconventional to bring back a canceled series, but nothing in conventional these days with the peacock network. With Leno out of primetime, dramas like "Law & Order" and "Law & Order: SVU" will go into the final hour of primetime. That should create slots earlier in the evening for comedies. I know a lot of the Earl folks have moved on and it would likely take until next season to get it back on the air, if possible, but if NBC can keep "Parks and Recreation" or whatever the name of that crappy show is, then they can make room for Earl. Ever since the got rid of Earl, NBC's karma has really been bad.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with bringing back My Name is Earl, but if you gave up on Parks & Recreation early because the first few episodes weren't good, you are missing out. This season it's been NBC's best Thursday night show.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Repped for real talk. Parks & Rec was outstanding this season. It's leapfrogged The Office in my Thursday night after work viewing order on the DVR. If the shows keep trending the way they did this year, it may jump 30 Rock as well.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Earl was a pretty good show, and I watched 'em all, but it started to delve into the ridiculous at the end. No way it comes back. Besides, NBC already ordered up 18 pilots for next season, which was the first hint that Leno was going to be gone at the 10 p.m. slot.

p.s. I also am in the Parks & Rec camp; that show has really picked it up this year

5. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Haven't seen "Parks and Recreation" this season but the consensus seems to be it's improved a lot. As to Earl, it did have a terrible stretch when they put him in jail, but I thought it bounced back quite well. I think when Leno comes back to the "Tonight Show" it should open with a dream seqeuence with him in the shower ...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Earl Hickey return.

Perhaps a better show would be based on Jeff Zucker making the rounds making amends.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

That whole Darnell as an uber-spy storyline/family being relocated was dreadful.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just bring back catalina

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NBC picked up Adam Carolla's pilot, which I will definitely watch.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

They should just pick up "Better Off Ted" which is getting the burn off treatment by ABC right now. This really boggles my mind -- it is probably the funniest network sitcom and it is just going to go out without getting a real chance.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ABC is buring off the new version of Scrubs. They actually showed new episodes the week before and the week after Christmas, when nothing else is new. I guess they really want to get episodes done that they can sell into syndication. Considering what ABC did to the Drew Carey show, it probably doesn't even mean Scrubs will finally be canceled. With Braff gone, it's probably pretty cheap to produce.

Draft saved Draft deleted