1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brilliant Sports Reporters (July 30)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 30, 2006.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Then he goes with it.

Then against it.

Then with it.

Etc.

Like Sisyphus shaving.

2. knowing this, i feel totally stupid. wow. what a mistake i made. i'm sure all the viewers were thinking the same thing..."boy, that comment really fell flat. doesn't whitlock realize 25 years ago there was no E in espn?"

let's ignore the espys and all the other stuff espn does to try and stress "entertainment."

i'm embarrassed.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

So, you're suggesting that, since those halcyon days of yore, they've embraced the ESPN brand, perhaps marketed it, maybe done some cross-promotional stuff (a magazine or a telecommunications device, for example), produced a few shirts and maybe even used it to make a buck or two?

4. lester, how dare you even suggest such a thing?

your comment really falls flat when you consider that there was no E in espn when the network kicked off.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I also remember SPN, I think it was the Spanish Programming Network. Lasted into the mid 80s until it was swallowed up or went under, I forget which.

6. JackS

JackS Member

Don't be a jackass. I agree with you that ESPN tends to stress "entertainment," particularly with all the talking head schtick. It just has nothing to do with the decision to put the letter E in ESPN, so your comeback was pretty weak.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

But I believe his whole point is that sports and entertainment are roughly the same thing, as close as the "e" and the "s" in the World Wide Leader's sig.

8. 85bears

85bears Member

I think that integrity is definitely important in college sports because of the educational aspects of it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but when you get the NCAA punishing Kent State for Notre Dame's misgivings, and other such oxymorons from Myles Brand like allowing a BCS title game or allowing the millions off the NCAA mens basketball tournament but screwing not allowing Jeremy Bloom to pocket his skiing endorsement money.... find me the consistency in integrity?
    Among the individual schools? Probably many. The instiutuional NCAA and other robber baron schools? No.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

From the ESPN.com FAQ:

11. 85bears

85bears Member

You're preaching to the choir. What I'm saying is that we still have an obligation to try our best to hold these schools to some accountability when it comes to integrity, because of the (alleged) tie-in to an educational institution.

Draft saved Draft deleted