1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brilliant Sports Reporters (July 30)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I do not think so. Some of my earliest memories are ESPN and its humble beginnings and I am pretty sure "entertainment" was always in the mix.

No, what Whitlock said was hardly revolutionary, but we all know that many of us have a hard time keeping it in perspective. We talk about things like Bonds and the Abreau deal like they really matter. Essentially, a bunch of rich guys have taken kids games and found a way to make a shitload of cash off of them ... and cities dedicate mass amounts of cash to them and people show up by the thousands and we cover them so that those who didn't go can read about them. It's great theater, but the only difference between a movie and baseball game is the script.

Whitlock is hardly original in this thought, but a reminder every now and again is appreciated.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So that makes him heroic how, exactly?
    He is playing ball because it's what he wants, and also because it makes him a lot of money.
    No heroism there. You can admire him for not buckling down to a very difficult break, but it's not heroic.
    Sports are entertainment. Absolutely. What is there to dispute about that?

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It just seems that way now.

Actually, during the NFL season, I think the E stands for "Eagles".

5. i thought it was good tv and the first time in a long time that a discussion on the show created some real buzz. i've received a ton of email response.

but not everyone is comfortable with my take on america's reaction to "performance enhancing drugs." i've been singing the same tune for 3 years and every time i bring it up i get cold vibes on the show. we'll see if i took my free speech rights too far. stay tuned.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't see it. What exactly did you say, Jason? Impossible to tell from AF's account. There is a big differfence between "Sports is just entertainment" and "There is no integrity in sports." Did you say one or the other or something in between?

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

This guy gets it.

And this isn't about blowing Whitlock ... he goes against the grain. As a writer, i love that.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Mariotti goes against the grain.

9. KP

KP Active Member

It's funny how since ESPN dropped the original full name they have added more Entertainment then ever before.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Best part was watching the Dwarf and Loopy ... period... pretentious little fucks.. As soon as I saw who was on this morning, I thought this should be fun...

But dude, what;s up with the collar? find a better tie or buy a collar you can button....

11. JackS

JackS Member

For the record, ESPN originally wanted to just be SPN but that was already taken by some other cable network.  I actually remember SPN in my cable listings.  The E is ESPN did always stand for entertainment, but the addition was as a response to SPN already being taken, not some commentary on sports equaling entertainment.  So in that regard, Whitlock's comeback re: the letter E falls flat.

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Nice job, Jason.

Agree with you on Vince Young as well. I don't think he'll ever be a franchise QB.

Draft saved Draft deleted