1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brightside

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fred siegle, Apr 11, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I wear shoes for maybe three hours a week. My feet don’t hurt at all anymore.

Fred siegle and Webster like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That has been a big plus. I haven’t put dress shoes or even anything besides sneakers/flip flops on since March 13th.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

My dog has never been happier.

4. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I haven’t worn shoes or socks since this started. Also no deodorant. (Probably a downside for the people who come in “contact” with me. It does seem to work as a natural human repellant to keep everyone 6 feet away if I walk to the store.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I filled up my truck sometime four weeks ago. I still have half a tank.
    I haven't had to iron any work clothes in the same span.
    I'm making bank grocery shopping for my parents. They give me cash. I swipe my card and get 1.5% cash back!

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’ve ridden my bike.
    My daughter rediscovered her Switch thanks to Animal Crossing.
    I have not set an alarm.
    I walk the dog every morning.
    The weather has been glorious.
    My knees stopped hurting (I really need good work shoes)
    My family has been very lucky through this. I don’t think my wife or I will miss a paycheck (touch wood), and I think we are getting some money next week.
    I am learning new job skills I can use in the future.
    We did some home remodeling this winter (a lot of paint and put hardwood in some places upstairs and can really enjoy it.
    Spam phone calls have all but stopped.
    No one I know has gone to the hospital.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’ve been working from home for the last three weeks. I was spending $35-$40 a week on gas and another $5 on tolls. So I’ve saved $120-$135 in commuting costs.

I was getting into a bad habit of getting fast food near the office a couple of days a week. That’s been about $12 a week saved.

I’ve slept an hour later each day. I feel much more refreshed. I also have an extra hour in the day when I’m done with work.

When I take breaks, I can do something brief around the house, like empty the dishwasher or switch over laundry. Or, de-stress by petting one of my cats.

I can wear comfortable clothes every day. I prefer sweatshirts and T-shirts to office-wear any day of the week.

I wouldn’t mind going in the office one or two days a week, but working from home has been so much easier.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I wonder if those now working from home like it, or would they rather be in the office?

Since being laid off nearly three years ago, all of my editing and writing work has been done at home. I much prefer it to going into an office. My wife is having a harder time of being home all the time.

Fortunately for our family, our relationship hasn’t suffered with all the time together.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My 7-year-old's reading skills have grown exponentially just in a few weeks of being at home. It's been amazing.

At the start of the stay-at-home orders, my car went to a body shop for some bumper work. They not only picked it up and dropped it off at my house, but in the interests of sanitizing they returned it spotless on the inside. And it'll stay that way for a while with us not going anywhere.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Some plusses:
    • I've lost eight pounds.
    • Life in the house has taken on a new rhythm.
    • Evenings are peaceful. Instead of frantic planning and preparation, they are devoted to rest and healing for the next day.
    • At first, I was calm because I had to be. This morning I spent an hour on the phone with an overwhelmed Stephen Minister. I was able to walk him through a situation he was not prepared for. For the most part, calm just happens.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think I’ve fostered those eight pounds, @OscarMadison. Pretty sure I don’t want to adopt, though.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted