1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brightside

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fred siegle, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I haven’t had to buy gas in a month!

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There is some crazy shit online about people being able to see things in the distance they never thought they could see or cities looking clear as day.

Everyone is going to have bumper crop gardens this year.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I have a flat tire, so I can't drive anywhere even if I wanted to.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This type of thinking seemed familiar to me. Then I realized where and I started hoping it doesn't get any more familiar.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was just telling Mrs. Spartan the same thing. I filled up the day before school shut down and haven't again the 4 weeks since. I've driven into work twice in the mean time and a couple of trips to the store and I'm at the point where if I go much further than the neighborhood store I'll have to gas up again. I expect to get at least another week before I'll have to gas up. Possibly two if I play it right.

I normally have to fill up once every week, so I'm saving about $120 in gas costs. I think my wife goes the same stretch and we've filled hers up once in the last four weeks (for $14 mind you!!!), so collectively we've saved about $220 to $230 just in gas. That doesn't account for what we are not spending on random shit we buy each week. Mind you we're spending more on groceries, but I think we're coming out ahead regardless.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Saving $$$ by eating at home and doing a LOT of walking

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I haven't filled up since mid-March and I've still got nearly half a tank. Of course, we also have some big expenses that were put off due to the current crisis. My daughter was scheduled to take her road test, which would have meant a big jump in our insurance along with the money we have put aside to get her a car.

Of course, when I think of that, I am reminded of how she sees the situation. This was supposed to be a period of increased freedom in her life. If there is a part of me that sees that as a bright side, too, I'm telling that part to at least keep its mouth shut around my daughter. :)

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not only using less gas, but the cost is cut by 25%

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

My train both to and from work is always delightfully empty. Plenty of room to stretch out and read my book in peace.

It's like that line from Zombieland. "Just played nine holes at the Riviera... Just walked on, nobody there..."

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I filled up my car on Feb. 20. Since then I have driven 256 total miles (yes, I keep track of that stuff). Filled it up sometime in March when it was about 5/8 full, because gas was so cheap. I don't drive much to begin with, but have driven almost nowhere in the last seven weeks. Might have to go top off the tank with gas so low before OPEC makes it go up again. Gas for $2.03 in Microville is as low as it's been in a decade, seems like.

I've also had about $43 in my wallet. Any big expense (beer, etc) goes on the card, but when I don't meet friends for breakfast/lunch once a week, go to happy hour, etc., I just don't spend any money.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

My front and back yard look amazing right now.

I might start dusting off my camera and start doing some landscape photography.

Driftwood and Fred siegle like this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have not used cash for anything since I bought a scratch off ticket to bribe my son on March 14th.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted