1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bridge collapse in Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by armageddon, May 23, 2013.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Live:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbcnews.com/51986246/

2. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Witness saying that an oversize load truck hit one of the overhead girders just before the collapse.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really hope all survived. Looks more like a sudden collapse than anything suspicious. The way around that bridge is going to be a traffic nightmare.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading that story it doesn't sound like the water is very deep along that part of the river, which probably kept this from being worse than it was.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Reports are saying that three people were rescued from the river, and that they believe everyone is accounted for.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

An I-40 bridge in Oklahoma collapsed (after being hit by a runaway barge) on the Sunday before Memorial Day in 2002. Fourteen people died. I think that's the most killed in the USA in modern times.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sunshine Skyway, in Tampa Bay, killed 35 people when it collapsed in 1980 after being struck by a freighter. Cars and a Greyhound bus fell 150 feet to the water.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Listening to KOMO radio is a farce. Even as the anchor repeats reports from emergency management of no deaths, and his reporter on scene saying no significant injuries, he keeps calling it a tragedy every 30 seconds.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Did CNN have anything on this at all?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I flipped over several times during breaks in the hockey game and all I saw were replays of Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Guess it wasn't that big a deal then. I don't think Fox had anything. They can't afford to let Obama off the hook for five fucking minutes.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it happens after 10 p.m. ET and west of the Mississippi it doesn't register. If this happened between DC and NY or between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET it would be wall to wall.
    I guess what concerns me is that the cable nets don't even keep a skeleton crew around 24 hours that could have an anchor up and throwing to local coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted